We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation - Glasgow to London

alberta
Level Contributor
229 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation - Glasgow to London

I'm hoping that someone can help with transportation suggestions from Glasgow to London. My son (age 30) will be on holiday and needs to get from Glasgow to London for his flight home to Canada. He's trying to find a mode of transportation that is both economical yet not too long a trip.

My son is trying to keep costs as low as possible so he's ruled out flying from Glasgow to London. That leaves train or bus as his options. Although he wants to keep the cost low, he also would like to get to London as quickly as possible (so I don't think he would choose the least expensive option if it means spending 12 hours on a bus).

Can anyone recommend the best way to travel from Glasgow to London that will keep the cost fairly low, but will not drag on for too many hours? If anyone has a recommendation, where in Glasgow would he board, and where in London can passengers get off the train/bus? I'm getting dizzy trying to figure out all the various options on the internet and thought that asking the experts may be more efficient.

Thanks very much for your help.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 20:33
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Ruling out flying could be ruling out the cheapest option.

Given that you've given no dates/days whatsoever your question is really unanswerable - all the methods have the potential to be cheapest

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,014 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Megabus, Nationalexpress, Virgintrains & the Caledonian Sleeper are your options

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Which London airport and what time is the Canadian flight? All factors to be considered given that you have to factor in the cost of Getting to them from Central London from where the main coach and rail termini are.

If we are talking weeks away then book either train or flights now for the cheapest advance fares and again as Dzug said do not rule out flying.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 21:49
alberta
Level Contributor
229 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Sorry, I should've given more info.

My son has tickets for a game at Celtic Park on August 24 and it is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m. He has tickets for a Tottenham home game the next day, and it starts at 3:00 p.m. So, he will have to leave Glasgow for London in the evening on August 24 or in the morning on August 25. His flight home from Canada is in the morning on August 26.

These football games really are making a mess of his travel arrangements! Some people will do anything for football...

I just assumed flying would be significantly more expensive. Maybe we need to go back to the drawing board! Thanks so much for your input.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 00:51
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Megabus run overnight buses to London, and they have a sleeper option. Not sure a bus is the perfect way to travel, but it is likely to be cheaper given he's travelling next month: lots of the train bargains will be gone by now.

http://uk.megabus.com/megabus-sleeper.aspx £35

Or identify your train options via http://www.scotrail.co.uk/ £40 plus to way up over 100.

Flights will probably cost £50-65 on Sat evening, probably cheaper early SUnday but you still have to get into town from the airport; and overnight accommodation.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Look at skyscanner for cheap flights. But I don't think there will be really much to choose. Your son could use any form of transport on the 24th.

What's the problem? Or have I missed something?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Looking at your other post, I see your son is staying at Gatwick, and wants to dump his bags there.

There's no real point in trying to find the cheapest option, if it means your son then has to spend another £50 getting to Gatwick.

Surely simplest is to fly to Gatwick, dump the bags and get to the Spurs game?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Fly to Gatwick, leave luggage at Hilton Gatwick, go to game, return to Gatwick for flight home. By far the quickest and most convenient way, even if it does cost a little more. :)

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

Hourly 125-mph trains link Glasgow Central with London Euston, from around €18 if you pre-book, www.virgintrains.co.uk .

The journey time is 4.5 - 4 3/4 hours, a fraction of the time of the bus, and not much more than the 3-4 hours you'd spend in buses, airports, planes, and airport trains if you flew.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation - Glasgow to London

When I cost a train its about £130 - flights about £100 return

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow