We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to rent a car in Glasgow.

Shellman Bluff...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When to rent a car in Glasgow.

My husband and I are arriving in Glasgow early Sunday, Sept. 1. We were planning to rent a car at the airport, drive into Glasgow, stay in the City a day and a half before leaving for Oban and Mull for a couple of days. Would it be better to take public trans. into the City and then go back to the airport the next day to pick up a car for the trip to Oban?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to rent a car in Glasgow.

Yes,there is little point in bringing a car into the city and paying the extra days rental.

The 500 airport bus is frequent and reliable.

From the airport you take the M8 motorway away from the city,cross the Erskine Bridge and head north.

There is a choice of route from Loch Lomond and going via Inveraray would provide a good coffee stop.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to rent a car in Glasgow.

Would agree with Kenko but is their a reason for renting at the airport, would one in the city not do instead.

Shellman Bluff...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: When to rent a car in Glasgow.

Thanks for replying. Your advice is much appreciated as I began to think how silly it would be to try and drive around Glasgow after an all night flight. Since we'll be arriving early Sunday, and can't get into our hotel til after 2:00 p.m. which area would be better to look for a hotel - West End, City Center? We like to explore and don't want to stay in places that are the same around the world. A neat whisky bar is on our list. Thanks for your help.

Shellman Bluff...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: When to rent a car in Glasgow.

No, there's no reason for not renting a car in the City. I guess I thought that at the Airport we'd already be out of the congestion of a major city and shoot off to the north. If that doesn't make sense, we'll certainly find a rental company in Glasgow. Thanks a lot for answering.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to rent a car in Glasgow.

Wherever gives you the best deal on car rental is your basis so if the airport is better then go for it as at the end it may be better to drop off there if flying out again.

Glasgow is fairly compact so being in the West End is no big deal as the Subway takes you into the city in 10 mins although if it is a Sunday it does not run beyond 18:30 hrs but taxis are cheap and plentiful.

Whisky galore, but one place that has a great selection is the Pot Still on Hope St.

Shellman Bluff...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: When to rent a car in Glasgow.

Thanks for the info. I think we're in for a great trip.

7. Re: When to rent a car in Glasgow.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow