We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glengoyne distillery public transport help needed

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Glengoyne distillery public transport help needed

We will be in Glasgow for twelve hours on a cruise ship. We would like to visit Glengoyne. I have learned that we can take a bus from the Buchanan bus station to the gates of the distillery, one bus an hour. I know we can buy a very reasonable first day pass to cover our fare.

What I can not figure out is how to get from Greenock, where our ship docks, to the Buchanan Bus station.

Can anyone help me with info on that?

The route number is what I would like so I can check departures and returns.

Thanks for any replies.

Denis the Menace

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glengoyne distillery public transport help needed

It's an easy journey,a 15 minute walk or a short taxi ride to Greenock Central Station.

There are usually 3 trains an hour up to Glasgow Central Station,taking about 40 minutes.

Timings on the Scotrail site.

Please allow a little time to have a wander around Glasgow city centre which is compact and walkable.

Have look at a map,then go up Buchanan Street and round the back of the Concert Hall to the bus station.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glengoyne distillery public transport help needed

If you just wish to visit a distillery rather than specifically Glengoyne you could get out to Auchentoshen which is closer.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glengoyne distillery public transport help needed

www.travelinescotland.com is your route planner.

Train from Greenock Central or West to Glasgow Central around £8 return and takes 43 mins and 2-3 per hour, the stations are approx 15 min walk from the port although a local taxi is only around £4.

It is a good 12-15 min walk uphill from Central to Buchanan Bus Stn so again a taxi will only be around £4 from outside Central.

The bus from Buchanan is the one for Balfron, service C10, and takes around 35-40 mins and you are correct in that it is one per hour so timing is essential, fare is around £4 return

No through ticket available for train and bus.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 18:44
Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glengoyne distillery public transport help needed

That's great. Thanks for the info. I think we can do that easily.

Looks like Buchanan Street is the shopping street too. So after our few wee drams if we have any money left we can leave it there on the way back to the ship.

I don't have to go to Glengoyne specifically but now I know how to get there and how to spell it, so I think I will stick to it and not that other one, the Auch.....one.

Thanks again.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glengoyne distillery public transport help needed

Yes would suggest leaving the shopping part until after which will determine how long you have left to spare before returning to Greenock.

6. Re: Glengoyne distillery public transport help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:19