We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help! - pickpockets

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
help! - pickpockets

Asking for help. I know it's a chance in a million - my daughter (on vacation from San Diego) - had her wallet pickpocketed in Sauchiehall St on Tues (24th). Apart from all her Credit Cards having to be cancelled and $1000 withdrawn from her and her hubby's cards......she had two antique silver lockets, with sentimental family photos, that her Granny (93 yrs) had just given her - she was taking them to be cleaned - that were pinched. These are what she is most upset about.

If anyone finds them, we would be eternally grateful. Been reported to the police, but they don't hold out much hope; basically, shrugged it off as pretty common. She's VERY street-wise and careful...but these pickpockets are experts!! Wallet was in a crossbody bag (in front!!) that had a fastening on it. Maybe this will serve as a warning to someone else - be EXTREMELY careful.

TIA....Mags

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help! - pickpockets

Try writing to the Herald ( a Glasgow paper).

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help! - pickpockets

Oh no! Sorry this has befallen your daughter. It's upsetting. Genuine question - how did they pickpocket a sealed cross-body bag held at her front? That seems 'impossible'.

Abs :)

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help! - pickpockets

Tell her to look up local pawn shops and Cashconverters and go have a look to see if the thieves have offloaded them there.

It's pretty common for items like that to be taken to be sold as soon as possible.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help! - pickpockets

It's not a huge Glasgow problem - and I am sorry it happened - I do have to wonder how they took money from her account, not saying it's impossible but not easy unless she had the pin numbers written on the cards. Don't waste time with Cash Converters, they are far too savvy and require too much personal documentation to buy stolen kit, smaller pawn shops and gold buyers are more likely but chances are they are not in the areas your daughter frequents.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help! - pickpockets

Thanks for suggestions. She left Glasgow yesterday to return to San Diego.

She has NO idea how "they" managed it. Seemingly the police said you wouldn't believe what the pickpockets can do..... I used to live in Sao Paulo and I was pickpocketed there once, and couldn't believe how it happened!:):)

I haven't asked her exactly how they got the cash (was a quick Skype call). Will be on the phone later today and find out more.

Thanks again....Mags

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help! - pickpockets

Abs140 - I had a sealed cross-body bag held at my front pickpocketed in Glasgow when i was a student aged 17. All my worldly goods, including a years train ticket [cheapest way of getting around before the zone card was introduced ] dissapeared while i was in a crowd and not paying attention to my belongings .

Not paying attention or being distracted is the key for pickpockets - sometimes they rely on strategies and traps [ bag over bag, map or coat to hide the sneaky hands, blocking people from getting past, but they often are able to reply on people not being aware because they are not paying attention.

They don't even have to be too skilled, as a huge number of folk don't have their stuff secured at all - i am amazed more folk don't have things pinched

I am not saying that Glasgow has a special pickpocketing problem, just that i was too naive when i was 17 and sadly there are theives everywhere in the world

bridgenut - i'm sorry to hear about the loss of the pendants. What about trying an alert on ebay as well, just in case

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
140 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help! - pickpockets

The distracted issue is exactly how it often happens! I was in Paris with my son for his high school graduation present 17 years ago and he wanted to walk the Chanps Elysees. Well because i had no camera in my camera bag I wasn't focusing on it--it was cut cleanly off my shoulders and at the time it was all film so I lost all of the pictures taken to that point as the films were stored in the camera bag.. It can happen ANYWHERE--we live in USA and my daughter and I had to fight off pickpocket intent on pickpocketing oblivious husband right in front of the White House! Sorry it happened to your daughter but for everyone else--be aware no matter where!

Edited: 28 September 2013, 02:23
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help! - pickpockets

Pity about your loss but I would just like to add that Glasgow does not have a major pick pocketing problem!

Were it does occur I would confidently say it is professional gangs that are the perpetrators and even then I doubt most of them are even Scottish, I know I will get pelters for this but I would go as far as saying the majority are from a certain Country which shares the same first 3 letters as the Capital of Italy!

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help! - pickpockets

Agree! ;-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help! - pickpockets

Just because I've not heard of pickpocketing on here before doesn't mean it doesn't happen in Glasgow, but its certainly not on the scale of Paris or Rome. Its not really on any 'scale' at all, no consolation to the person it does happen too though.

I know how awful it feels to have something precious pinched and I hope your daughter isn't too distressed by this nasty incident. It might be helpful if you can share a bit more information about how and where it happened once you've managed to have a proper chat with her. Also do you have a photo of the lockets stolen that you could link? Thanks for sharing.

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow