We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying a kilt

Denmark
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
buying a kilt

Hello!

I will be staying at Jurys Inn in Glasgow for a couple of days at the end of the month and I am interested in buying a kilt for my husband. Any suggestions on where to shop nearby? Does anybody know an approximately price?

Thanks in advance!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying a kilt

Depends how good a quality you want in the kilt ? This place is about 10 minutes walk from the hotel ;

www.macgregorandmacduff.co.uk/kilts.html

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying a kilt

Another place to have a look at is Slanj.

Made to measure from about £350 and up

slanjkilts.com/Kilts-and-Highlandwear/Made-T…

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying a kilt

And here if you happen to be up on Sauchiehall Street

www.geoffreykilts.co.uk/gentskilts.html

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying a kilt

There are a couple of things you might want to consider. Does it have to be a brand new kilt? Some kilt shops will sell off ex-hire kilts for a reduced prices (a few years ago a friend got one for £100). You can as Alfanumeric pointed out change the quality of the material, some kilt shops might have different types of material which has an impact on the price. Do you have a particular tartan in mind? Whilst some shops will have stock if you want a particular tartan it may have to be made to measure and have a time delay so consider that as well.

£350 (420Euro) is the going price for a good kilt. I bought mine 9 years ago and it still going strong.

5. Re: buying a kilt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 10:35
6. Re: buying a kilt

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 10:35
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying a kilt

I suppose if it was a skirt some people might regard it as expensive.

A kilt can be an investment that will last for years.

My neighbour's son wears his grandfather's kilt which was originally purchased over fifty years ago.

Never gone out of fashion and looks fantastic.

8. Re: buying a kilt

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 11:35
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying a kilt

Never seen the deleted posts so do not know what they were but can guess.

The trouble is a lot of people think it is just a skirt but do not realise the amount of material that's in them, besides to complete the look the OP would also have to buy a Sporran which is more again!

It would help if the OP came back in at this point with her views as I am sure that given sample prices she may have changed her mind!

Edited: 18 October 2013, 11:24
Denmark
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying a kilt

Thank you all for your answers.

Yes, I am quite surprised how expensive they are and will consider again as it is not likely my husband will actually wear the kilt!

I fully understand though as I have learned what a big effort it takes to make a kilt and how much fabric is being used. And I will for sure go and have a look.

Once again, thank you so much all!

Greetings from Denmark