We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

My wife and I are in Glasgow for approximately two days November 17-18th. We're interested in history and love to see the architecture and historical places. We're considering taking a tour around the countryside but with such a short amount of time we don't want to sit on a bus and miss the really cool stuff that we might find if we know where to go.

The lighthouse sound great, but so does going to the highlands.

Any suggestions?

Discover Scotland Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Rabbie's
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Timberbush Tours Glasgow - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Stravaigin Scotland
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,996 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

Rhett, is that 2 whole days? You need to know that the daylight hours are coming up to their shortest so if you are looking for a tour you need one that starts early.

The Hoho bus would be the quickest to get the overview and stop off at places you are interested in. Also being up high will give you a better view of the old architecture above the shop fronts.

http://www.citysightseeingglasgow.co.uk/

If you love architecture then anywhere involving Makintosh would be the thing. Instigator of the Art Nouveau movement.

peoplemakeglasgow.com/guide-book/…

visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/…

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

Suebovington, We arrive at noon on the 17th and leave at noon on the 19th.

I never thought about the daylight issue. That would be a real problem if we're sitting on a tour looking out the window into the dark.

I wish we had more time, but we just don't.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

Kelvingrove is our major museum and not to be missed.

Within walking distance from there is the Hunterian Museum at Glasgow University which has a great display on the Roman period in Scotland.

For a quirky museum on Glasgow's history go to the Peoples Palace on Glasgow Green.

You will find plenty to see and do in Glasgow.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

So in reality you do not have 2 full days!

Definitely no time for the Highlands but as a substitute I would take a trip down to Balloch for Loch Lomond, only 43 mins on the train with a train every 30 mins at around £6 off peak return

www.scotrail.co.uk for details, I would suggest you do this on the morning off the second day!

In Glasgow right now it is dark at around 5pm so your sightseeing time is limited.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

Also within walking distance of Kelvingrove is the Riverside museum (aka the transport museum) and the Tall Ship Glenlee.

glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/…default.aspx

http://www.thetallship.com/

Where are you staying?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

Your suggestion for Loch Lomond is PERFECT. I just looked that up -- this is exactly the kind of place my wife will want to go.

We I have a half day on the 17th and a half day on the 19th along with a full day on the 18th. I'm going to call that 2 days! But you're correct. Not much time for sightseeing which is why I really appreciate your insight. 5:00 PM darkness is tough! what time is the sun coming up there?

We're staying at Citizen M which I think puts us close to things to see.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

When you are here it will be light around 8am and pitch black for 5pm

Citizen M is centralish being at the top end of the city centre, great for Buchanan St shopping, theatre etc

Also close to Queen St Stn for that train to Balloch

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

There's a daily tour of the Dental Hospital on Sauchiehall Street ?

Some of the photos on display are fantastic.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
545 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

We've just returned from 2 days in Glasgow and loved it! I wouldn't bother with the HOHO bus as it's expensive compared to the cost of public transport - we got subway tickets on both days for £2.60 each unlimited travel. We flew up and arrived in the centre before 10 am having caught the 500 bus right outside the airport terminal into the city centre. We bought the return ticket for £8.50 each which is good value and the service is fast and frequent.

First day we took in a few shops in Buchanan Street, had a coffee and then spoke to a very helpful man in the nearby Tourist Info office. He gave us maps and a few tips and we then got the subway to the Riverside Museum - spent a couple of hours there and made our way to our hotel then for a rest. Too tired to do much else after our very early start so just walked to a restaurant in the evening. Our hotel was a little way out (Menzies Hotel) and although ok we'd probably opt for one right in the city centre next time).

Checked out of our hotel on the second day (we only had one rucksack and took the absolute minimum with us). We had pre-booked tickets for the Jack Vettriano Retrospective at Kelvingrove so took the subway there and visited that first, then explored the museum further. Highly recommended - fabulous building and there are exhibits on everything from Elvis to elephants! Some very interesting exhibits and galleries and even the little cafe was good - nice coffee and cakes. There was an organ recital at lunchtime which was good to listen to while we had our coffee.

We took the subway back to the city centre as we'd arranged to meet my niece off the train from Edinburgh. There are some beautiful shops in Glasgow - hadn't realised just how good it was for shopping. Only had time to look in a couple of them, then we went to the Lighthouse and managed to climb the spiral staircase to the top - where you can go outside onto the balcony and look across Glasgow. Afternoon tea in the Buchanan Street Willow Tea Rooms and it was time to return to the airport.

The architecture in Glasgow is amazing and we found everyone very friendly and helpful. It makes a nice change to go into a shop/attraction and be greeted with a pleasant smile - the people of Glasgow should be congratulated on this.

There were so many other things we would have liked to have seen but time ran out - however we will definitely visit again and maybe stay for longer. Probably when the weather is a little warmer!

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow for 2 days - suggestions?

Hi Rhett, visiting Loch Lomond is very weather dependent even in the summer months. I would have a few options to visit and pick which one is suitable when you get here and find out what the weather is like. Even if it is sunny in Glasgow it may be wet/wind/snow and cloud at the loch and that's not a pleasant experience. Glaswegians though are very friendly people and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.