We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripadvisor Restaurant Warning

Glasgow
Level Contributor
45 posts
339 reviews
Save Topic
Tripadvisor Restaurant Warning

I wanted to warn both travellers and locals of what I suspect are some dodgy goings on with Tripadvisor Restaurant reviews.

I have been a regular user of Tripadvisor for some time. I mainly write reviews on places I encounter whilst on holiday. As I know my own city well I do not tend to use Tripadvisor much for information on Glasgow.

However, I have looked at the top rated restaurants recently, partly because I was told that a rather basic place 20 yards from my work had become the top eatery in the city according to Tripadvisor.

Looking at the reviews of Glasgow restaurants, it does appear to me that there have been a number of “New Entries” to the top two pages of the restaurant. Most of these places have between 20 and 60 reviews, predominately from new or low review count users and mainly in recent months.

I have no axe to grind with any of these places –I have not eaten in any of them and I am not associated with any other restaurant in Glasgow.

I do life and work in Glasgow and I would expect to know of these places, but I don’t. Outside of Tripadvisor I have never heard of them. Strange that these top Glasgow restaurants are not being talked about by Glaswegians ……

The point of this post is to warn people to look behind the placing on Tripadvisor. Look at who is doing the rating, has there been a rush of good ratings in the last 6 months or is the restaurant an established business with consistently good reviews over time.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Tripadvisor Restaurant Warning

OK a solution seems to have been found. Enjoy on Gt Western Road are now at number one in the Glasgow Restaurant listing and from what i'm hearing its a terrific new place and very vegetarian friendly too. Yay!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186534-…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
969 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Tripadvisor Restaurant Warning

Five star reviews from one-time reviewers are damaging Tripadvisor's credibility. I wish that Tripadvisor would please change their policy: reviews from new reviewers should not count towards a restaurant or hotel's ranking until that reviewer has made at least five contributions.

Cambuslang, Scotland
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Tripadvisor Restaurant Warning

You really have to take reviews with a pinch of salt. Some reviewers are incredibly picky and others appear to be close friends with the establishment owners and will give a good review, even if the place is dire. I'm a fairly seasoned traveller. I'm not a snob or picky, but I like a place to be clean and tidy and for the food to be edible - not a huge ask. I had the misfortune of staying in what must have been the worst hotel in Austria. We put a complaint in to Thomsons, as it was so bad. I reviewed it on here and was honest. But, when I read some reviews, it was so strange. They said they received a warm welcome from the owners, as usual, and they spoke about the food as if it was high quality. I honestly could not believe that anyone would think the place was acceptable, never mind wonderful. We actually thought the owners were in mourning, as they were so miserable. But, there was more than a few positive reviews, all from around the time we had visited, which left me questioning my sanity.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tripadvisor Restaurant Warning

There was a point when each of us was a first-time reviewer, but most of us will continue posting, and that's how you acquire 'authority'.

So there are some first-time reviews that are perfectly honest, but I would tend to believe people who are regulars. If someone posted once, a while back, and has never reviewed anyone else since, I would tend to ignore that. Especially if written in formulaic terms, very similar to other singleton posts. Some restaurants and small hotels are 'helpful' in providing a template for people who have never used trip advisor before.

I'm now close friends with a couple of restaurant owners because I've eaten there regularly: nothing wrong with that. The food came first! I'm certainly not going to refrain from reviewing them again because I'm now a pal.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 11:37
25. Re: Tripadvisor Restaurant Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:17