We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commonwealth Games

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Commonwealth Games

Following the recent threads on here about the lack of accommodation or the perceived rip off prices of what is available for the Games I have just received an update of the reasons why?

I have just had in the Cab a member of Glasgow 2014 Organising Committee and I put to him the dilemma of the shortage of rooms and he explained as follows.

It appears that the Organising Committee has booked 80% of all hotel rooms in the City for the various VIP's, Member Associations, Sponsorship Partners and Media.

He stated that all these parties have until March to confirm attendance and only then will any unused rooms be released again. He also confirmed the arrangement regarding University Halls of Residences.

So to those out there who accused Glasgow of ripping people off with inflated prices there is your answer!

He also agreed with what I have advocated all along and that is to find accommodation out with the City and use the excellent train links in from areas such as Ayrshire, Lanarkshire etc.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Ayrshire
Ayrshire
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Commonwealth Games

The big screen that 17stch is referring to are the jumbo screens that hang down from the stands behind each goal and not I suspect the big screen that runs the full length of the main stand on which all the graphics are projected onto.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,964 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: Commonwealth Games

Scotrail confirming that trains will be running later during the games.

"ScotRail will run services later into the night than ever before, including some after 1am, to give fans the best opportunity to enjoy the Games, while still allowing enough time for vital overnight maintenance work on trains and infrastructure.

Trains will leave Glasgow later than normal each night of the Games to locations including Airdrie, Ardrossan, Ayr , Balloch, Barrhead, Cumbernauld, Dalmuir, Dumbarton, Dunblane, East Kilbride, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Gourock, Hamilton, Helensburgh, Kilmarnock, Lanark, Largs, Larkhall, Milngavie, Motherwell, Mount Florida, Neilston, Newton, Paisley, Perth, Stirling and Wemyss Bay."

The Scotrail App is excellent.

More train travel info here: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/games/spectators

Edited: 15 July 2014, 20:46
Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Paisley
Paisley
Renfrewshire, UK
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Stirling, UK
St Bees, United...
Level Contributor
679 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: Commonwealth Games

Madscotsman - thank you for confirming 'Hampden does not have "a Gods". We're row SS which appears to be two rows from the back row so I'm still a bit surprised really even if its not in the Gods.

94. Re: Commonwealth Games

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 08:35
95. Re: Commonwealth Games

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2016, 05:16