We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hydro

Forres, Scotland
Level Contributor
467 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
The Hydro

Hoping someone can answer this question ASAP as off to see Top Gear tomorrow at the Hydro. Does it get hot inside the venue - we are up probably as high as you can get. Just don't know what to wear.

Thanks

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Hydro

I never said you did! It was the OP you used the term "sarky" and also come to think of it Sexist into the bargain!

Forres, Scotland
Level Contributor
467 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Hydro

Ok madscotsman we have all now made our points and my question has now been answered so thank you Glasgow forum - luxsey has now left the building!

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Hydro

The advice wasn't sarcastic at all. It was helpful and honest.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Hydro

Sorry to introduce an element of seriousness here, especially with all the Glesgae banter! I was also at Top Gear Live last Friday and experienced the Hydro for the first time. My observations for what they're worth:

The venue: I was around mid level seat-wise and the views were excellent and I noticed at least three large screens for "close up" viewing. I would also recommend layers as I actually found it quite warm half-way up. Sound excellent and couldn't be faulted. At the end of the show, I did notice that it took rather longer than I've normally experienced to clear the auditorium but then, it is a 12,000 - seater. Just one issue niggling me a little is that we are booked for "Still Game" later in the year and I'm not sure how a stage show/play will fare in such a large venue.

The parking: What a nightmare! I decided to try their adjacent car park. It cost £7 for a bit less than 3 hours and although I had pre-paid at the machine, it took 45 minutes to exit. Never again. I normally arrive a bit earlier and find a parking place in the Finnieston area and walk over the pedestrian bridge, which I will certianly do in future!

The show: If you had not seen the show before, it was fine but having seen it 18 months ago at the NEC in Birmingham, I was a bit disappointed. At the NEC, they had a separate exhibition hall where they displayed (and you could get close up to) many of the vehicles/machines used in their TV progs over the years. Also, the arena for the show was much larger (Hydro floor space was a bit "compact" !) and could accommodate a fairly extensive in-door race track, which by the way, was used for a pre-show demonstration race featuring Tiff Needel and Vickie Butler-Henderson....and prices were very similar!

Hope I didn't rant too much there about parking.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The Hydro

To Luxsey, no problem you are welcome.

Johnboy, yes nothing has improved parking wise and I seriously question the location of the new multi-storey given it is in an "Island" that all other traffic in the area has to go around wether you are attending the SECC or not.

Also when taking passengers down to the Hydro they seem to leave it late not realising that the capacity of an event has increased from a maximum 9500 (SECC) to 12500 (Hydro)

It used to be just under £6 from say Queen St Station now it is at least £7 on the meter and that extra is racked up with sitting in traffic the last half mile on the approaches.

When an event scales it is just as bad that we just cannot get into the Rank to service it with people parking along the approach road, double yellow lines by the way, waiting to pick up relatives and the aforementioned 2000 space car park emptying.

So my advice is get there early, take the train or park in the Finnieston area and walk over the expressway bridge, take a taxi, very economical if there are 4 of you, or if you are coming from the south side park at the Science Centre/BBC and walk over the footbridge of which there are 2.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The Hydro

The parking, and indeed the roads, at the Hydro are a shambles.

One relative, a blue badge holder, is unsure of what parking arrangements are available.

Another relative told me that he went for a meal in the Crowne Plaza and left his car in their car park.

Coming from the north I am one of those who find a place to park and walk from the Finnieston area.

17. Re: The Hydro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:19