We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

Hi all,

I appologise if there is a similar post to this out there but I'm yet to find it if there is.

My fiance and I just got engaged last week and are planning a quick engagement to be married in summer :)

We really want a lovely out doorsy relaxed BBQ type event where everyone brings some food and drink and it's just really low stress. My biggest hurdle so far is finding a venue - we would need to either hire a whole self-catering house/building, or find somewhere which allows you to hire the grounds or gardens only and then bring in a marquee and your own food and drink. Pretty much everywhere I've seen insists on their own catering.

So that's my question: does anyone know of any venues or land to hire for a self-catered wedding in and around Glasgow?

All help is highly appreciated!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

Congratulations!

Some of these properties are licensed for weddings: http://www.lhhscotland.com/

My friend had her wedding here (I didn't go so can't comment!) http://kinlochard.org/village_hall.html

Youth hostels are another option as they sometimes do exclusive rental but usually only out of season.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

Speak to a couple of the marquee companies - they may have some ideas where they have put a marquee in before - Janet at Tents and Events is really helpful - what your after is somewhere with nice grounds but no established catering - Findlayson just before Greenock would suit that criteria, but has no wedding license I suspect, or hire a field / woodland from a farm and bring in some shelter and toilets - given they are usually non commercially minded the hire would be nominal - but you would need to plan for rain, parking as well as toilets and someone to oversee the tidy up the next day. Totally do-able still some money to spend but at least not £50 a head. I even know a farmer in Uplawmoor who would probably help.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,529 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

someone on a wedding forum mentioned the Peoples Palace allows you to self cater.

…scottishweddingdirectory.co.uk/…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

Glasgow City Council - they are not going to want your own BBQ and informal dining - they will want outside caterers and a full impact assessment

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,529 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

slipstram,

read the link before making comments number 7 post to be exact!

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

Sunbabe - nothing about an outdoor BBQ in the link you posted.

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

Thanks for all your help. I will look into asking marquee companies - i hadn't thought of doing that!

Slipstream222 I will keep your farmer friend in mind thanks :)

My experience so far is that anything belonging to the city council - winter gardens etc want you to use their catering only unfortunately.

Thanks for the ideas though!

glasgow
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

I do know that the Partick burgh halls just off Dumbarton road can be hired out and you can do your own catering as I was at a wedding there last year well reception, I do not know however if you can get married in the building directly or if its only available for the function.

Glasgow
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

Kay,

I am in exactly the same position but we are hoping to hire in an outside caterer to do all the hard work for us haha!!

We are looking at a few that I think would be perfect for you too....

Pollokshields Burgh Hall

Killearn Village Hall

The Byre at Inchyra (a bit out of the way but beautiful and they have accommodation!)

Kinkell Byre (same as Inchyra)

Rutherglen Town Hall

Hope this is of use to you.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self-catering wedding venues in and around Glasgow

@Sunbabe - Sorry - read the post that happened a day after mine before I post? Back to the Future is fiction it's just not possible.

There is a farm in the north side who have a converted barn and marquee option now - bit of google should find it - barn wedding Glasgow.

Edited: 01 February 2015, 13:37
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow