We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

First let me say a big thank you to all on the Glasgow forum who have helped me with my planning thus far.. everyone one of you have been great and I do so appreciate you taking the time help me out.

Now with that out of the way here are my questions.

#1 ~ I was wondering what is the average cost of getting a taxi at the airport to get me into Glasgow to the Blythswood Square hotel. I have received an email from them as to a private transfer but lets just say it seemed a bit steep. I am not cheap but I usually liked to be kissed before someone does that to me.

#2 ~ Tipping is it basically the same as my normal practice 15-20% at restaurants, 10-15% for taxi's, 2-3 euro's per bag for the bellman at the hotel etc.etc.

#3 ~ Are there any specific Do's & Don'ts one should be aware of when visiting Glasgow as a visitor (as an example in some countries it is a big Don't plan on visiting museums on a Monday and Do try the local wines) I always feel it is my responsibility to make sure I am observant of local customs and habits when traveling. After all I am the visitor to your fair city and one should always show as much respect as possible.

Again thanks for all the help really looking forward to landing Sunday and my short stay in Glasgow.

Best

SEBESZ

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

A big don't is "don't ask about tipping in the UK on TA" ;)

Many posts will follow. This thread may wind up getting deleted (many do, inexplicably to me).

My practice: £1-2 for a taxi driver, 10% at restaurants, NOTHING at pubs/bars. I don't tend to stay in hotels with bellhops, so I don't know the going rate (if any) for tipping then. In general, tip less than in North America.

Most UK museums are open 7 days a week. I don't remember those in Glasgow being any different, but check websites if in doubt.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,354 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

<< #2 ~ Tipping is it basically the same as my normal practice 15-20% at restaurants, 10-15% for taxi's, 2-3 euro's per bag for the bellman at the hotel etc.etc. >>

Glasgow like the rest of the UK does not use the Euro.

<< Do try the local wines >>

Buckfast?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

Yes yes quite correct Original_Bobelinks

Mea culpa it should have been GBP Pound (£)

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

Have a great trip - Glasgow is a brilliant, brilliant City but DON'T try the local wine...

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

A taxi from the airport should be around GBP22.

The 500 Glasgow Shuttle bus is GBP6 and will take you to Bothwell St,the first stop in the city.You will see on the map that is quite close to your hotel but it is a steep uphill walk.

To confuse you further we use 3 varieties of Scottish banknotes as well as English ones.Best to use them or change them before your return to the US.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

I would avoid discussing Scottish football unless you are an expert on the subject.

However, you could congratulate your neighbour in a pub about Scotland's cricket team qualifying for the World Cup!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

Quite a few of Glasgow's attractions and museums are closed on Mondays, they include:

Provand’s Lordship (the oldest house in Glasgow built 1471)

Peoples Palace

Scotland Street school museum

St Mungo Museum

Glasgow Police museum in Bell Street is open on Tuesday and Sunday during the winter.

glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/Pages/home.aspx

Edited: 31 January 2014, 23:54
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

Your tipping seems to be on the high side of generous.

10-12.5% for restaurants round up to the nearest pound or one above for a taxi (personally I pay what is on the meter)

No tip required or expected in a pub.

Bell hop? No idea I carry my own bags.

Plenty of pubs carry local beers you can try.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

Original_Bobelinks,

<< Do try the local wines >>

Buckfast?

Classic! pmsl,

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow Do's & Don'ts and a Few Other Small Questions?

As a taxi driver a tip is welcome however I do not think any less of someone who does not, that includes you William ;)

Usual practise is to just round up, so if the fare is £4:60 then just say make it a Fiver. Same goes when you buy a round of drinks, but again I stress it is entirely up to you.

Brits do not have a tipping culture but where it does happen as I say a slight round up is fine, Restuarants are usually 10%

Taxi from airport is as said approx £22.

I think you are fretting to much that you will offend us, we are very tolerant and thick skinned and are likely to give back as good as we get!!!

The local wine mentioned, Buckfast, is actually a Tonic Wine made by Monks in Devon, England, however the Youth of Scotland have adopted it as a fast and cheap way to " get out of their face"!!!

It is unlikely you will see it on any Wine List, usually being only available in the Off Licence (Liquor Store)

By the way your earlier reading of the long range weather forecast was as I said "unpredictable" it was snowing here in Glasgow around 3am however it did not settle.

Not long now for your adventure!