We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

Let me start by saying I would like to thank all the posters and especially the regulars for all their advice in helping me plan my short trip. I completely and thoroughly enjoyed my time in Glasgow. The sights, food, drink and especially the people were great. All the restaurant and bar employees were very hospitable and courteous. I plan to post formal reviews for the hotel and restaurants when I can get the time. For now, I will just quickly say that I highly recommend the Blythswood Square hotel all of the splendid and grand sights I took in and almost all the restaurants I ate in during my stay.

After the big day of travel and sightseeing I had yesterday I am embarrassed to admit I woke up a little late at 5am threw on my shoes and sweats and met a few University students outside the hotel at 5:30 for a morning run. Our path took us away from the hotel on Bath Street toward and onto Woodlands Rd. then up to University Avenue and into the university area. I must say it was interesting to see the difference in the neighborhoods as we ran through them. Glasgow university campus is a strikingly beautiful area you cannot help but feel the history surrounding it as you wind your way around seeing the stunning buildings devoted to academia strikingly lovely in form and design. After a couple of turns around the whole campus area and paths that wind in and around it we headed towards Yorkhill park since my two running companions (2nd year Med students) wanted to show me the Royal hospital For children. From here we headed toward Argyle street and a quick detour to pass by the Kelvingrove Museum which I will say … I saw it later in the day but in the morning as the day is breaking and it sits in its quiet majesty without the many throngs of people who will surround and descend upon it later in the day was quite nice to see and for me my favorite time to have viewed it. From here back onto Argyle making our way to St Vincent and back to Blythwood Square all in all a nice good 10k and a great way to start the day with a good a stretch of the legs.

After a quick shower I was off to work which I shall not bore anyone with but for lunch myself and a few colleagues went to the Ubiquitous Chip for lunch and I will say it is a fantastic place with phenomenally good food and nice room to dine in… very much enjoyed it.

Now let me say you could easily spend a day walking around this magnificent area in Glasgow and would not be bored for a minute and still not take it all in. I highly recommend spending time in the area.

After finishing the day later than I had hoped (I was planning on the Burrell Collection) I was fortunate enough to be offered to be taken on a tour by a colleague/faculty member around the university and its buildings and sights.

First let me say I was in Dublin in December at Trinity College and had the chance to look around their library and let me just say it has NOTHING on this grand 12 floor structure IMHO unequalled by few in the whole world. With over 3 million books and journals covering every academic discipline imaginable from the arts, to humanities to the sciences it is quite impressive in substance, but its true uniqueness is in its grand interior a great mix of old and new mixing together flawlessly.

Walking up to the top of university tower offers arguably one of the best views of Glasgow truly breathtaking and is quite is impressive. The Wellington Church as well as the Memorial chapel, statuary and other structures that dot the campus are all worth stopping and looking at as you make your way around.

As we walked around the area one thing I found extremely unique and very classic was that they still light many of the lamps that light the paths around the university by hand a truly special and classic touch keeping with the universities long and ancient history.

Perhaps the two highlights for me were:

The areas near Bute hall somehow the words opulent, stately, and resplendent only begin to describe its interior and the ancient undercroft cloisters that lye beneath it linking the quad areas. Absolutely breathtaking in there intricate detail and structure it was like walking in a more majestic and noble era.

The other highlight being the Anatomy Museum, which is actually more of a working clinical laboratory than a museum in its purest form. A completely fascinating and evocative display with a specialized collection of uncompromising and idiomatic medical teaching materials. I personally think it rivals and may even surpass the collection at the Royal College of Surgeons in London, where I spent many a long hour in my younger days.

After calling it a day and thanking my new friend for such a wonderful few hours and taking the time to show me around off I jumped into a taxi. I headed towards a shop called Kember & Jones (Thanks fifporter) to place an order for some tarts, muffins and scones and some jellies for the next morning to bring with to my meting with some of my colleagues nursing staffs. Hey I’m no dummy and everyone likes good bakery goods. Plus I am glad I stopped since I was able to pick up a few tasty gifts to bring home for friends and family, the shop is quite nice and has a large array of gourmet specialty items.

For dinner I again met with some colleagues at The Rogano (I will do a separate review) overall a very good place food was solid service pleasant if perhaps a bit on the slow side and the atmosphere very good I could definitely see that it has been a long time spot in Glasgow and it is easily understandable why …. overall very good experience. All I can say is I cant get enough of that Cullen Skink soup (Love It !!!!) and Haggis, Neeps & Tatties was interestingly good until they told me what it was (I was wondering why they insisted I try it and why they were all staring as I took my first taste) Ha Ha funny guys aren't they :)

After another great day in a wonderful city all I could somehow think of was tomorrow and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and more hopefully.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
733 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

What an interesting and energetic post! Anyone who reads this will want to follow in your footsteps. Okay... Maybe not that morning run.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

Thank you for posting.

Can I ask what route/airline you travelled and how you found the airports.Did you get through Glasgow Airport quickly?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

Another great report, I said on your other report of your walk around Glasgow Cross that I felt I turned every corner! now I need to go for a lie down after the run!!!

You just have to not think of the ingredients of the Haggis, but boy isn't it delicious!!!

High praise indeed for the University when compared alongside those other places of academia in Dublin And London!

Thats you also bagged 3 out of the 4 top Restaurants you were originally recommended, wonder if you will get the full set in Brian Maule at Chandon Dor?

Keep the reports coming.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

Excellent trip report ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

I love it! even the running bit, although I don't go out that early! :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

I never understood how you can wake up at 5 am to go for a run. It is so warm and good in bed. :)

Thank you for your post! Really inspiring. Have a great weekend!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

What a fantastic trip report! can't wait to experience some of the same when we come in May, thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

@kenko92 = I flew Aer Lingus using the ORD-DUB-GLA route both ways since I try to do everything in my power to avoid LTH at all costs even if I have to fly past my destination and fly back, but that is just my own personal proclivity and may not work for all.

Getting through both was extremely efficient and easy and Glasgow airport was even better had my bags and was out the door in under 20 minutes and on my way to the hotel. Departure was just as easy too at GLA.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,406 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

Great read :-))

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 2 = Running, Books, Scones & Haggis

Jolly good read Sebesz! Thanks for posting. If your trip report doesn't sell Glasgow as a brilliant visitor destination I don't know what will.

I've spent a good bit of time at the University but have never been up the tower. You've reminded me that I must remedy that ommission. I think that there are tours available so maybe thats something to put on my 'to do' list. What a stunning place it is.

Sounds as though you made quite a few new friends too. All the more reason to return!