We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

Hi, my friends and I (all mid-20's) will be traveling to Scotland for a birthday, and staying in Glasgow.

We are looking at hotels that would be closest to the action (pubs/bars/clubs) in the city center, and i'd appreciate any recommendations. The budget is around $100 a night, we like all types of music and are just looking to show our buddy a great time for his bday. Any crowd from early 20's to late 20's would be fine.

So far i've checked out a couple hotels that look good, specifically CitizenM and Premier Inn. Any other suggestions, or advice on which hotels in particular are in areas of the city we'd be looking for?

Also, side question, we would really like to get up to the highlands, perhaps the isle of sky or one of the others. Is a daytrip up there possible or would it have to be an overnight thing?

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

You would be better off posting in the Skye forum for more chance of pertinent answers.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

Good choice of hotel! If you get a chance, the cocktail bar next to the reception is pretty good.

DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

Thanks, the citizenM just seemed too cool, had to check it out. I'll def be sure to check out the cocktail bar too! William, i'll see what I can find out over in the Skye forum, thanks.

DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

Also guys, i'm a little curious about the driving situation. As you know, we Americans have our steering wheels on the left side of the car, and drive on the right side of the road. I know in Europe the wheel is on the right side, but aside from that how different is driving on the road? Should I anticipate some trouble adjusting and possibly risking an accident?

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

Generally you may find the roads narrower once you leave motorways.

This means you can easily find yourself behind slow moving vehicles with little chance to overtake. This can be frustrating but just relax and go with the flow. Too many accidents are caused by frustrated drivers attempting dangerous manoeuvres.

Some roads on Skye are single track meaning you have to pull into a space when encountering something coming the other way or to allow someone to pass you.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

We can't help it if you drive on the wrong side of the road lol!!!

As said roads are narrower and twisty so chill out!

It is also said we drive faster than you guys!

Also it is only the UK that drives on the left, the rest of Europe like yourselves drive on the wrong side!!!!

Edited: 25 February 2014, 22:38
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

One thing I'd do is try and familiarize yourself with roundabouts. I noticed when driving in the US that it is all give-ways. Maybe try searching for videos about how to approach roundabouts?

And as Madscotsman says, the driving on the motorway is a bit faster! I'd hired a Chevrolet Camarro and was driving from San Francisco to LA; let's just say the temptation to break the measly 60mph speed limit was very very tempting when you've got over 400bhp under the bonnet!!

DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

Does anyone have advice for renting a car at Glasgow airport? Are there certain sites that would be better to use? I'm also wondering what the insurance situation would be for a foreigner renting a car there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

Check out this thread:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k73168…

Cheers, enjoy your trip! 21 days for us!

DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
50. Re: Hotel and Pub Logistics for Glasgow

Hi guys,

I was fiddling around with changing my phone plan to an international one, but it turns out my phone doesn't support that kind of plan.

Would anyone suggest that I get a disposable/prepaid phone (not sure what its called) when I land in Glasgow? Are they easily available in the airport or would I have to go somewhere else?