We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better Month for a Visit - September or October

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Better Month for a Visit - September or October

Hello All

My wife is planning a two-week trip to Scotland in either Sep. or Oct.. Will spend most of that time (5 days) in Glasgow.

I will be traveling with my wife, Mother-in-law and my mom, their interests center around shopping (and talking ..... oopppss!! just got poked in the ribs) architecture, dining and local happenings i.e. festivals, local markets etc. etc.

Would you recommend either month to be better suited as to local events, weather, festivals.?

Also I have searched the forums and there are so many wonderful sights to take in Scotland do you think are we better off seeing the countryside and some of the smaller towns in Scotland rather spending the rest of our time in Edinburgh and if so, and you were me.

Where and what would they be?

Thanks in advance

SEBESZ

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

You'll definitely get more out of your days in September in terms of available daylight. Dark October can be 'atmospheric' and equally enjoyable, but perhaps not so great if you want to head out of the city to see the countryside.

You know that getting around on public transport in Glasgow and Edinburgh is a cinch, but have you thought of renting a car for the day to go exploring wherever the fancy takes you? The East Neuk of Fife has some lovely coastal villages and picturesque vistas, and other great places have been suggested where a car could come in handy.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

We had the same choice this year and chose September, so I'm very happy to read this thread. We've typically been very lucky throughout the UK on past Sept trips.

I've been doing a bit of referendum reading and it adds a thoughtful component to our trip to be there during such a momentous geo political decision.

And my Nana used to say, it's never the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes :-)

Edited: 25 February 2014, 00:09
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

Thanks all

Ok well September it is then. A couple of quick questions

1- Due to this referendum vote does anyone anticipate any civil unrest/discourse as with any proposition there must be a winner and a loser ... will it be a heated time with opinions and emotions pushed to a boiling point (no offense intended but felt it is a question that needs to be asked)

2- As it seems that access is readily and easily attained to many sights and areas from Glasgow is she better planning to use Glasgow as a home base to do some day trips out and about from thus allocating and and then scheduling 3 days for Edinburgh and 10 for Glasgow with various day trips .... does that make sense .. or is it wiser and better planning to plan day trips out from Edinburgh and Glasgow respectively thus splitting the time almost equally between the 2 cities.

Any thoughts appreciated

SEBESZ

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

1- No

2- Use either as a base. As the cities are less than an hour apart by public transport there is really not that much in it. The rail network will provide opportunities for plenty of day trips from either city

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

You have seen us first hand so you know how friendly we are.

We will wake up the next morning and either start preparing to be an independent nation or it will be status quo, end of story!

If you want to explore the scenic West Coast then Glasgow is best placed as a base to do so.

Fairfax, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

whatsonglasgow.co.uk/events/history/2014/09/

whatsonglasgow.co.uk/events/…

hope that helps...

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

If it were me I'd factor in a few days hotel stay in Edinburgh if there was enough time in the schedule. While transport is excellent between the two cities, actually staying in a city adds another dimension. Equally I can understand the preference for basing yourself in one city. Either option can work well with a little planning.

Its also possible to get some decent day tours out of each city if preferred to the driving option. The likes of Timberbush Tours, Rabbies Tours and Haggis Tours are generally well reviewed on Tripadvisor and will whisk you out of the city for the day. I wouldn't recommend taking the tours that go as far as Loch Ness however. Far too long a day in a vehicle for too little reward.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

I'm really pleased and quite proud that you enjoyed our city so much that a return trip is happening so soon!

As for Edinburgh vs countryside? I would spend a few days in Edinburgh for sure, but as many suggestions above state, it is easy to travel through from Glasgow. Edinburgh is a bit more of a 'tourist trap' so maybe just a few days are perfect.

If you are interested in seeing some more of the country and still want to be based from Glasgow I'd recommend visiting Stirling (also has a superb castle and is next to Bannockburn (see Braveheart)) and also Loch Lomond (it is an absolutely beautiful area and has lots of lovely little villages and walks (I'd recommend Connic Hill).

Hope that helps!

19. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 16:35
20. Re: Better Month for a Visit - September or October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 16:35