We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What hotel to choose this August?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
What hotel to choose this August?

Dear Glaswegians,

I know that you guys may not be the best qualified to answer questions about your own city hotels, but I'll give it a go as the hotel raters from around the world seem to be a bit disagreeing.

We are planning our annual two weeks in Glasgow (4th year in a row), but this year we wanna try another hotel, as we have not been too cheerful about "The Victorian House" and "Grasshoppers".

This year we are travelling the last part of August, after the Commonwealth Games. Our aim is to stay reasonably central, in a place that offers reasonably clean rooms and with private bathrooms and preferebly a shower head that can be taken down, and windows that can open.

We are considering Best Western Glasgow City Hotel, Hotel Indigo or Fraser Suites.

Best Western is by far the cheapest option. Is there a reason for that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Martin, Oslo

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What hotel to choose this August?

Hi Martin, you certainly are a glutton for punishment coming to Glasgow 4 yrs running lol

As you are a frequent visitor you will know the city centre fairly well and the Best Western is just inside the city centre at Elmbank St, I think the reason it is cheaper is because it is small and in an old Victorian Terrace row of buildings so might not be up to modern standards.

As you are here a while rather than a few nights you have to get this right so why not consider Fraser Suites which are serviced apartments giving you a little living and cooking/dining space.

Location is perfect right in the heart of the Merchant City with access to loads of Bars and Reatuarants.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What hotel to choose this August?

Forgot to mention but if going for Fraser Suites then get a high or rear room.

As suggested in the reviews the pubs Maggie Mays and Boteca Do Brasil located on the corner underneath are both open until 3am 7 nights a week.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What hotel to choose this August?

I know you've not mentioned it but the Citizen M hotel is fairly new. I've stayed there a few times and can highly recommend it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,885 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What hotel to choose this August?

The Indigo is ranked #4 in the city. Very good reviews. Have you also looked at the Premier Inn chain?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What hotel to choose this August?

Edited my comment but it doesn't seem to have worked - Don;t bother with Citizen M; I seen your post regarding another hotel and based on this, I don't think Citizen M would be suitable for you.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What hotel to choose this August?

Thank you so much for your kind replies!

This year we decided on the Carlton George Hotel. Ideally located, and hopefully clean. We don't spend that much time in our room anyway.

As for the reason why we keep coming back to Glasgow, they are numerous.

First of the people are the most friendly we've ever encountered! So helpful and in for a chat. Second the shopping is amazing. And there are serveral great museums to visit, as well as parks. The gluten free restaurants are pretty much on every corner.

And not to mention the ideal location for short trips to nearby islands such as Bute.

Cheers for taking your time to answer.

Martin

7. Re: What hotel to choose this August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 04:17