We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

I want to buy a SIM card for my Galaxy Note 3 to use for local calls and broadband while in Scotland. I've done a little research and will probably go with O2 or Vodaphone. Does anyone know if there is a store where I can buy a SIM card from either of these two providers in the Glasgow/Paisley Airport?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

There is a Tesco Store in the airport on the Ground floor which might stock them, they also do their own cards through Tesco Mobile which have deals like top up with £15 and get £45 worth of minutes, don't know how it goes with the Broadband though.

There are also WH Smith Shops in the Terminal.

If you are coming into Glasgow City Centre I would just wait and pop into a a Carphone Warehouse branch (they are everywhere) or even an O2 or Vodaphone store whereby the staff will help you choose what is best for you.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

Thanks @madscotsman. After landing we will be picking up our rental car and driving straight to Luss to check into our lodging there. I'm not sure if there will be a Carphone Warehouse or other suitable store along the way. I'm a little spooked about making a drive into Glasgow Center after being on a plane all night and doing my first left hand side driving in potentially busy downtown traffic while fatigued.....On the other hand, not getting a SIM card will mean no phone in Scotland! We will be able to connect via wifi when it is available, but I am always anxious about not being "contact-able" for emergencies when away from home. Not to mention not having a phone if we have any car troubles while on the road with our rental.

London
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

There's a "phones4U" store in Paisley, about a mile from Glasgow airport. Or, slightly further away from the airport but probably easier to find for a first time visitor, there are two of their stores (and probably competitors stores too) in the massive Braehead shopping centre, which is just off the M8 (the main motorway from the airport to Glasgow). Although Braehead is the wrong direction for Luss, it'll only add a short amount of time onto your journey. The folk at the car rental desk will give you directions to Braehead - I guarantee they know how to find it!

Worth mentioning that while Luss is in a truly beautiful spot, I've never yet managed to get a phone signal in the village.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

Thanks @rcspeirs. Good information in at least two ways....where to find a SIM card and perhaps that maybe getting a SIM card is a waste of effort/money. After two days we'll be going from Luss to Portree. I can't imagine that the phone service on Skye is much better than in Luss.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

When do you travel?

http://giffgaff.com/

Are on the O2 network, have a sim posted to you and activate via the internet the day you leave. Plug it in at Glasgow and you are sorted.

Depending on how long you are here a goodybag may be good value.

Only you can decide.

If there isn't time for that you could have it sent to your digs but you would probably have to top it up with an O2 voucher available at most post offices.

They have an excellent forum which may help.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

@JockBossBob: There isn't time to have a SIM posted to me.....I should have tried that earlier. We are in the US, though, so do they ship overseas?

London
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

I use giffgaff, they're great value. But their is no phone or shop support - I'd hesitate to recomend them to an overseas visitor.

The phone coverage throughout the highlands is variable with multiple dead spots (such as Luss itself). But I'd still recommend getting a local phone - plenty of places it will work.

The people in phones4u or carphone warehouse (or other competitors) will happily supply a cheap SIM.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,910 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

No wi-fi at your accommodation then?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

Only problem with visiting Braehead is the Mall does not open until 10am during the week, you already said you may be Jetlagged so that is more time used up when you could be in Luss by then.

Another option is popping into the Asda's store in Dumbarton en route, you know it as Walmart in the States, they have a tech dept selling phones etc and are open from 8am at least.

Dumbarton is on the A82.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing a SIM card Glasgow Airport

We'll have wifi at our lodgings...at least in public areas. Not sure all of them have in-room access.