We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

R K
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
446 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

We will be in Glasgow for a few days making either day-trips or over-nights to Loch Lomond, Stirling and Ft. William area, all by rail. All depart from Queen St. station. Is that an o.k. area to stay as a base, or is there a better/nicer (but easy) option? Any hotel suggestions? We are two in our 50s with our 20 yo son along.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Stirling, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

It's a city centre shopping and commercial area. It has good transport links, eg the Subway (underground metro), which means you are not restricted to the immediate vicinity.eg, Hillhead is a good area.

I cant advise on hotel, but you may want to say what your preferences and budget are.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,585 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

The Carlton George and The Millennium are both adjacent to the station.

The Premier Inn,Buchanan Galleries is a short walk away.

The station is right in the city centre which is compact and walkable.

Mentioned in this post
Buchanan Galleries
Buchanan Galleries
167 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

Also within 5 mins walk are The Premier Inn George St, the Mercure on Ingram St and the Park Inn by Radisson on W George St.

Queen St stations main entrance is onto George Square the very heart of the City Centre and you are spoiled for choice for Bars/Restuarants.

Mentioned in this post
George Square
George Square
1,062 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
R K
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
446 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

Millennium looks very close, but I've read pretty mixed review about it. I'll look at the others you suggest.

We are pretty flexible as long as the place is clean, comfortable, and functional (water that runs and stops when you want it to, and drains as it should, for example). A room with two double beds would be ideal, but if the price is reasonable, our son could have his own room. Budget is pretty flexible, though we aren't looking for a big splurge. We don't expect to spend a lot of time in the hotel; it's not a romantic get-away! But we also don't want to feel like we can't wait to leave it.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

Close?

It is the former North British Railway Hotel and forms part of the station.

We are quite civilised up here and have running water and drainage!!!

Every hotel we have mentioned is modern or if older have been brought into the 21st Century via refits.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

Glad to hear it's not a romantic getaway if you're wiling to share a room with your son too ;-)

There's a Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express "Theatreland" which are no more than 5 minutes walk away. It's a few years since I stayed in the Holiday Inn but it was fine back then.

I've stayed at the Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre (George Square) which is also close and was what you'd expect from a PI.

Also stayed at the Mercure which was a lovely room but very small (I mean couldn't swing a cat size) and quite noisy - but it was a Friday night in December so a lot of people (myself included!) had been out for Christmas parties!

For rooms for 3 adults Jury's Inn is a good bet - they do a lot of rooms with a double and proper single bed rather than a sofa bed for the 3rd person. The Glasgow one is a bit further from Queen Street station though.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
George Square
George Square
1,062 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
R K
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
446 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

We stayed at several hotels in very civilized parts of Italy where the tub just would not drain, or the bidet leaked all over the floor. SO I'm not saying Glasgow in general doesn't have good plumbing, just want to be sure the hotel we stay at does!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

I've never had an issue with plumbing in a Glasgow hotel and I've stayed in quite a few!!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

I stayed in the Park Inn by Radisson earlier this year, partially due to its proximity to Queen Street station. The room was pleasant and I had no problems with the plumbing. They seemed to have some mini-suites where there were two rooms with a connecting alcove and one door to the hallway.

10. Re: Hotel near (or easy to) Queen St. station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:17