We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow-East Ayrshire- Manchester

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Glasgow-East Ayrshire- Manchester

Hello,

In August, it will be my first visit to the UK. I will be staying in “East Ayrshire” for around 2 weeks. I have the following questions:

-I will probably arrive via Manchester Airport (MAN). However, as I said my destination is East Ayrshire. So, I would like to know my options for reaching it. I would be grateful if I can get details like expected rates, journey time, convenience and how to book the tickets (whether a bus/train/plane).

- The main aim of my visit is not for tourism and leisure. But, certainly I am planning to go out during the evenings. So, what are some of the places to go in Ayrshire. As well, I will probably have 2 full days each week entirely free. What cities do you recommend to visit in UK? (I mainly love vibrant shopping areas, historical places and breathtaking views :D)

- Is Ayrshire part of Glasgow city or is it a separate city in Scotland?

- Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay in Ayrshire (hotel/ apartment (rental))?

P.S. I will be travelling along with my friend. And we are sort of on a tight budget.

Many thanks!! :)

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Ayrshire
Ayrshire
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Glasgow-East Ayrshire- Manchester

TransPennine do offer a concession on advance tickets from Manchester Airport.

If a flight is delayed,and with proof from the airline,you can travel upto 3 hours later.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,808 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Glasgow-East Ayrshire- Manchester

If you drive and won't be too tired after your flight then maybe renting a car would also be an option. Arnold Clark have a location at Manchester airport and Kilmarnock. They only charge £25 one way drop off and you would have the advantage of a car when you get there in case you have to go looking at a few places to rent.

You can rent a small car from around £25 per day plus the drop off fee. Fuel would be about £20 for that trip

Near the hospital there is a Premier Inn for around £55 pn so perhaps booking there for a night or two when you arrive would be a good idea. Premier Inn's are a good budget choice. You can also get the Travelodge from £33 per night. Both will sleep 2 people comfortably if you need to share. PI's have twin bedded rooms but I think the Travelodge only has doubles. They do have family rooms with sofa beds though.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Glasgow-East Ayrshire- Manchester

The small town nearest to the hospital will be Crosshouse. Although ayrshire is mostly rural, north ayrshire was a coal-producing area, and there was a pit south of Crosshouse. Therefore Crosshouse is a mixture of old traditional stone buildings, and houses built by the local council. It has some shops, but I doubt there is much to do there, and I doubt you'll find rentable accommodation or a B&B there. It will not look like a "country village". But it's quite a few years since I drove through.

However the hospital is on the bus route runnng from Kilmarnock to Irvine and Ayr. Therefore the first place to look for accommodation is probably Kilmarnock itself.

As others have said, your arrival data is critical if you want to avoid the Commonwealth Games. The problem being that Kilmarnock is very handy for Glasgow and a number of the games venues. You should really ask for the hospital's help. They will appreciate the difficulties with transport and accommodation during these first few days.

Buses from Kilmarnock to the hospital: travelinescotland.com/pdfs/…PTBO337.pdf or travelinescotland.com/pdfs/…PTAO011.pdf. There may be others services, so you should have no problem in getting a bus to the hospital.

Knockentiber...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Glasgow-East Ayrshire- Manchester

The Portland Arms pub is located in Crosshouse and does have letting rooms. This is a five to ten minute walk to the hospital.

http://www.theportlandarms.com/default.asp

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Glasgow-East Ayrshire- Manchester

Sorry if I made assumptions - I presumed someone from Egypt might well be unhappy living above a pub!

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
26. Re: Glasgow-East Ayrshire- Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:17