We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shetland
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

We are arriving in Aberdeen from Shetland on Sun 27th July at around 8am and need to drive to Prestwick airport, arriving before 3pm for a flight at 5.

Route planners take us through Glasgow ( A90, M9, M80, M77 ) and give the journey time around 3.5 hrs.

The problem is they don't account for the Commonwealth games and in particular on that day is Marathon day. Is it wise to continue with this route, or are there any alternatives ?

One alternative may be going down to the Forth road bridge and then the M8 before cutting off for Hamilton, is this feasible ?

Any help appreciated

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,556 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

I doubt the marathon will affect the motorway much. In any case you would be better off taking the M73 then M74 then M77.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

Only part that is affected is the northbound off ramp is closed at Dumbreck Rd from the M77, which does not affect you in the slightest.

Stick to the motorway but maybe allow a wee bit more time just in case, the good news is all major road works are suspended during the games.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

I've been accused of having a "lead foot" and I would be proud to achieve that journey in 3.5 hours. You would be advised to add another hour, but I don't think you will be in any danger of missing your flight. The routes suggested are pretty much "6 and half a dozen" in so much as you have to negotiate your way through the early rush in Aberdeen which can seriously test the patience, but you will avoid the Dundee and Glasgow rushes.

73/74 is a good time saver and is a great addition to the route. Keep your wits about you on the road as the traffic gents make a lot of money from speeding tickets retrospectively, i.e. you only realise you have been "done" when the letter arrives in the post.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

"you have to negotiate your way through the early rush"

At 8am on a Sunday mornin i think you'll be ok - same with the route. However, the new (ish) M74 section is the one being recommended and saves going through the city.

Post again if you are not sure where we mean

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,556 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

Did you consider taking the train? Then you could just take the ferry as a foot passenger and not have to park the car at PIK which can be expensive or is that too much hassle for you?

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

Apologies JBB, missed that one. Still, 3.5 hours is optimistic.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

After you pass Cumbernauld on the M80 you have a choice of either staying on the 80 and joining the M8 at Provan Gasworks then over the Kingston Bridge to veer left onto the M77 or, veer left onto the M73 and veer right at the old Zoopark onto the newish M74 extension then onto the M77.

In my mind it is six and half a dozen.

I would agree that 3.5 hours is pushing it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,556 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

It is 180 miles and dual carriageway or motorway all the way to PIK so you only need to average 60mph. Since you don't have to be there realistically until 1530 for a 5pm flight I would not worry about getting there on time on a Sunday.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 07:51
Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

Having done the Aberdeen-Glasgow route a few times I'd recommend M73-M74-M77 it avoids the city centre.

There is an event on that day at Ibrox Stadium, Rugby 7's tournament.

You have not much choice in passing close to Ibrox to get from the M74-M77, it's the next junction. If you are aiming to be at Prestwik for 1500 you should miss any traffic around there hopefully but I agree with the others, 3.5hrs is pushing it slightly.

If early at the airport you have a bit more time to relax & enjoy a coffee or something a little stronger.

Safe journey.

Shetland
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bypassing Glasgow during Commonwealth games

Thank you all for your replies, it's a big help, but most of all reassuring. The main thing now is that we won't be stopping for breakfast until clear of Glasgow.

Thank you again for the replies

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow