We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

Hi, need your expert advice where to stop on my way from Glasgow to Manchester. Would love to visit iconic village, history place and scenic area.

Appreciate forumer feedback

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

Whilst not half way Gretna springs to mind.

Is it a whistlestop for lunch or an overnighter?

Glasgow to Manchester can be done comfortably by car in around 5 hours even with a 30 min rest stop.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,463 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

Lake District - lots of literary links

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

As above it depends if you just want somewhere for a break from driving for lunch and a short walk round or somewhere to spend a night or more? Tell us more.....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

OK, I just read your other post about stopping in the Lake District on your journey north so I assume you don't want to go there again! Whether it's a driving break or any overnight stop still matters though. Carlisle? Gretna? Moffat? Penrith? Lancaster?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

oppp sorry to mention that, i will stop at Lake district during my way from Manchester to Edinburgh .

So for my trip back to Manchester, i would like to have few stop and not overnight. The stop will be cover lunch and also some interesting place or must visit stop. Appreciate your suggestion.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

OK, Gretna I guess has significance as the first place across the border. I usually just keep driving with a stop at the motorway services for a rest and food/drink. The places I suggested above are all close to the M74/M6 so have a look at what they've got to offer and see if you fancy any of them. Depending on the time of day you're travelling I would aim to be in Manchester by 4pm or stay north of Preston until later in the day - probably 6:30-7pm - or you will hit rush hour traffic in the North West which is no fun day out!!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

Hi

A couple of suggestions:

New Lanark - a world heritage site - http://www.newlanark.org not very far south from Glasgow.

Hadrian's wall - www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/hadrians-wall either detouring to the wall, or visiting Tullie House in Carlisle which has some good exhibitions as to how it was for the romans

8. Re: Drive from Glasgown to Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow