We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay???

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay???

Hi, I am visiting Glasgow for the games and have narrowed it down to 2 areas to stay and need some help! The 2 options are Cecil Street in the west end or Rose street in the garnethill area just round the corner from the glasgow school of art. We are only in Glasgow for 2 days so I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons and would like some opinions please! Our tickets are for athletics at hampden park but I know the public transport is excellent anyway in glasgow so don't think this is an issue. We want to do a bit of shopping but mainly eating and drinking! Please help!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay???

West end is quite cosmopolitan and I'm

sure you wouldn't be disappointed by places to eat and drink but it's further out of town.....if you want big high street type stores then the other one is more central and may be easier to get buses to hampden.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay???

West end is quite cosmopolitan and I'm

sure you wouldn't be disappointed by places to eat and drink but it's further out of town.....if you want big high street type stores then the other one is more central and may be easier to get buses to hampden.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay???

Hi, I know the shopping is better in the centre of Glasgow eg princes square,buchanan street but just wondered where the best place is to base ourselves for a short trip. I'm thinking of starting in the corinthian on one of the nights for their cocktails and then on to merchant city bar crawling one night and then not sure on the other so trying to work out which is the better place to stay? Thanks!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay???

Given your comments at post 3 then it has to be Rose St as this is the city centre and all the places you mentioned are there, albeit the top end of the City centre.

Corinthian is pricey? Social in Royal Exchange Sq does great cocktails at more realistic prices.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 23:03
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay???

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think I'm leaning toward Rose St as I can get into the west end easily for a few drinks, is ashton lane still the place to go or is it too studenty?! Is Rose St a safe enough area? Seems it will only be a 10 minute walk to buchanan st from there? I've promised my friend a couple of drinks at the corinithian and then on somewhere else so I'll need to bite the bullet and pay the premium!!!

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay???

Ashton Lane attracts all sorts, not just students.

Lots of people seem to prefer it to the city centre.

You could stay in Cecil St. walk to and start off your night in Ashton Lane/Byres Rd area then head off into the centre for the Corinthian (if you must).

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay???

Safe as anywhere, you don't say what nights you will be here? Reason being if it's not a weekend night then Merchant City will be very quite, but then again given they are talking about 1.5M visitors during the Games, who knows.

William also makes a good point, is there a huge difference in accomadation that might lead to you one or the other? In the end that might be a factor?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay???

Ashton lane is not the place to go for the west end it has got to be finnieston. Much nearer to rose St as well. Enjoy

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay???

Finnieston is a brilliant up and coming area. Has really developed over the last ten years with plenty of good pubs and eateries.

The "west end" however it is not.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay???

Hi, there isn't much between the 2 apartments actually which is what is making it difficult and we won't be spending a lot of time in it either as I want to show my friends what a great city Glasgow is for eating, drinking and shopping! I've banged on about the city enough! We are there on a Monday and Tuesday night if that helps? I did hear Finnieston was up and coming......