We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Silverdale...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

Hello all,

I will be traveling to Ireland in Ocotber with a friend. We will be there for 8 days, and we were thinking about spending a day or two in Glasglow. We will be renting a car while in Ireland (we'll be staying in dublin) this way we can move around the country at our own pace. I've read about the ferry that takes you from Northern Ireland to Scotland, but it's pretty pricey to take a car on (assuming I could with permission), and i've also read about flying into Glasglow international. Flying seems to be the cheapest, but I have no idea if there is a mode of transportation from the airport into the city center? Is flying the best way? Is there a rail? Since we're not going to be there long, we're not expecting to explore a lot, but just enjoy the city life (especially pubs). Any suggestions on getting there from either Northern Ireland or Dublin would be appreciated! Thanks

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

According to this, there's a ferry from Dublin.

virgintrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/…

It doesn't go to Glasgow, but it should be reachable by train once you arrive in the U.K.

I don't know anything else about the ferry; it's just something I found when researching my trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

You will lose half a day flying from the RoI or NI to Glasgow.

'I have no idea if there is a mode of transportation from the airport into the city center?' Glasgow, like other large UK cities, is very civilised and has good public transport. There are two dedicated bus services from GLA to the city centre with very frequent services.

Before booking with Ryanair, easyJet or Flybe, please ensure you look at all of the terms and conditions, as low base fares will rise with booking and baggage fees. Know as well that the low cost carriers are very strict with size and / or weight of bags, with no leeway allowed outside of the rules.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

The ferry from Dublin takes you to Holyhead in wales, the ferry trip is 3.5 hours and it would then take a fullday to get to Glasgow, witho nly a week's holiday it is not really a good idea. I do not think you will find a car hire company in the Republic that will allow its cars off the island. Honestly, with only a week you would be better to stick with Dublin and Belfast if you like cities.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

This is easy and done all the time.

First of all forget about bringing hire cars over not only is it expensive you will not need a car in Glasgow for 2 days!

Flying is the way to go!

Option 1

From Dublin, both Ryanair and Aer Lingus fly to Glasgow, at the moment Ryanair fly to Glasgow Prestwick which is a 40 min train ride into the City, Aer Lingus fly to Glasgow International which is a 15 min bus ride into the City.

From Late October Ryanair are switching to Glasgow International with 3 flights daily which compliments Aer Lingus's 3, so that is 6 flights daily between the 2 Cities.

The #500 airport express sits right outside the Terminal door and every 10 mins gets you into the City centre in around 15 mins at a cost of £6.

Option 2

From Belfast

Both Easyjet and Flybe have services to Glasgow International taking just 25 mins, bus into City as above.

As mentioned by TP baggage on some of these airlines can be costly but to give you an idea my daughter has paid £20 for a large case on Ryanair Prestwick to Dublin this weekend, but considering the distance and overall costs of your trip it's no big deal is it?

You will need 2 days in Glasgow and you will love it, look at the Glasgow Forum and you will see glowing reports.

On another note please be aware that the Republic of Ireland (Dublin) uses the Euro and the UK (Glasgow and Belfast) uses the Pound Sterling (GBP)

Therefore plan your cashflow accordingly as you don't want to be hit by extra charges changing back large amounts of Euros on leaving Ireland.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 08:43
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

If flying to Scotland for a day or so there would be no need to take any luggage, you can take a small hand baggage for free, leave the heavy stuff in Ireland it that is where you are flying home from.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

There is also a flight from Carrickfin in northern Donegal which flies to Glasgow International and is operated by FlyBe.

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

Thanks for all the info! That made our decision so much easier. I think we're going to go with Madscottsman15 first option; flying out of Dublin to Glasgow, then taking the 15 minute bus into the city center :) Since were only going for two days, we'll only be bringing a single backpack this way we don't have to worry about all the luggage fees. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Edited: 18 July 2014, 04:14
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

I definitely think that Madscotsman's advice (as usual) is the most sensible.

Before you go to Glasgow, take some time to plan what you are doing here; there is a vibrant music and nightlife scene so if you are into a certain kind of music / night out, then there should be something on during your visit.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

Just remember what I said about the 2 airports!

If flying Ryanair it's Glasgow Prestwick then 45 min train as their new service is not until the latter half of October.

If Aer Lingus then as you say Glasgow International and 15 min bus in.

10. Re: Traveling from Ireland to Glasglow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:16