We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Edinburgh

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
London to Edinburgh

In May 2015, we will be visiting London and plan on driving to Edinburgh to stay for a few days. Are there places that we should stop and visit to and from each destination? Or maybe I should be asking which places should we make sure to stop and see?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Edinburgh

It's a long drive typically 8-9 hours, are you asking on must see places en route?

If so then York is a must see!

Your time though would be better spent by taking the Plane or Train thus allowing more time in Edinburgh.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 05:50
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Edinburgh

Thanks - we were driving because we wanted to see areas other than London but 8-9 hours is a long time

Would the train be better? Does it make stops to York?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Edinburgh

Trains from London King's Cross call at York, Durham and Newcastle on the busy route from London King's Cross to Edinburgh Waverley station. Taking the train will allow you to see far more than tarmac and motorway services, will very likely be cheaper than hiring a car (parking and petrol are not cheap) and is certainly the Green option.

Look to www.eastcoast.co.uk for more information about trains. Book from about 12 weeks in advance and keep an eye on the EastCoast website for sales as well.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Edinburgh

Any reason for posting this on the Glasgow forum?

Is that somewhere you plan to visit too?

If you have the time do break the journey by at least one overnight somewhere. I recall an accident on the Motorway holding me up and my journey taking in excess of 10 hours.

The train is a relaxing way to travel and a car can be more of a hindrance in Edinburgh than a benefit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Edinburgh

http://www.rabbies.com/

It's a long drive there if it's only for a day or two. I think I would take the train to York and stay there and then take the train to Edinburgh and if there is time then take some trips out from there with a company such as Rabbies Tours.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Edinburgh

thanks

we were thinking that the train would be a lot more expensive - there will be 4 adults.

we will definitely check it out as i like your idea better

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Edinburgh

have thought about Glasgow but not sure yet. should we make time to go there?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Edinburgh

If you only have limited time I would not make Glasgow a priority. In Scotland I would do Edinburgh and then the lochs and hills and countryside.

If you do decide to drive then from London on the A1M I would make Stamford my stop for lunch and then York my overnight stop, or longer if you can. When heading for Edinburgh from York the A1 then A68 route is interesting and varied.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Edinburgh

It takes 50 minutes by train to glasgow from edinburgh, if you have time go and see the contrast between edinburgh and glasgow. Edinburgh and the highlands are pretty and historical, glasgow is full of industrial and commercial heritage. You need to see both the east and west of our country to fully appreciatd scotlands culture

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Edinburgh

London-York train starts at £13 per person for an Advance single. Advance tickets are valid on booked train only, no refund, and are released approx 12 weeks before travel date, at various price points. The cheapest tickets sell out first and quickly. Book at www.eastcoast.co.uk and you can set up an email alert to let you know when your travel date is released.

There is also a small-group discount available - £13 per person changes to £10.80 per person for 4 adults travelling together.

If you leave buying until the day of travel, Anytime Singles will total £498 for 3 people.

If you want to get the train back from Edinburgh (or Inverness, Aberdeen, Fort William) to London consider the Caledonian Sleeper - travels overnight and saves a hotel bill. www.scotrail.co.uk Again, advance purchase of Bargain Berths when available can reduce the price considerably. For 4 adults you will get 2 standard class cabins and can have the interconnecting door opened for more space.

Bear in mind that diesel in the UK costs equivalent US$8.20 per US gallon. Parking in places like York and Edinburgh can be difficult and expensive - £34.50 per 24 hours at Our Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 11:34