We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

CT
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

I need to get from one airport to the other on Sept 13th. I arrive in Glasgow at 10:30am and need to meet someone who's arriving in Edinburgh at 12:30pm. What's the best way to get there? Most hassle-free way?

Thanks!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,962 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

ooh thats a difficult one!

I'm guessing you're not thinking of hiring a car?

Perhaps someone will confirm if its possible to get the bus from Glasgow airport to Buchanan st bus station in Glasgow, then get another to Edinburgh Airport?

The first bit is easily done with regular service into the city, but the second bit I'm not sure about.

w62
London
Level Contributor
918 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

It's not easy. There's no direct link between the two. You will have to get a bus to Glasgow Buchanan St (or a taxi) and then either get a bus from there to Edinburgh city centre and then get a taxi or bus out to the airport.

What you could also do is walk from the bus station to Glasgow Queen Street train station (next door effectively and get a train to Edinburgh Haymarket. Then get a taxi to the airport from there as it's closer than going all the way into Waverley station. This would be the quickest route, other than getting a taxi from one airport to the other - which will cost about £80!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

Hi Wintertraveler,

You don't say what your plans are after you meet the other person at Edinburgh Airport, but is it possible to get them to make their own way to Edinburgh city centre then meet up with them there?

You said your flight arrives at 10.30 am but you need to take possible delays into account as well as the time it takes to get through passport control and customs, so you could have a bit of a rush getting there in time.

It's easy enough to get the shuttle bus from the airport to Buchanan Street bus station then just walk a few yards to get the Edinburgh bus.

Coventry
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

Take a cab from Glasgow Airport to Buchannan Bus Station (approx 15-20 £)You can then get a coach to Edinburgh. You can book online from megabus.com or nationalexpress.com.Hope that helps.

w62
London
Level Contributor
918 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

I agree with Scozzese. It's unlikely you will make it to Edinburgh Airport on time (unless you got a taxi or drove). So why not ask your friend to meet you at St Andrews bus station in Edinburgh - both the bus from Glasgow and the airport bus from Edinburgh terminate there.

CT
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

I was afraid that it was going to be a complicated trip from one place to the other. My friend is flying into Edinburgh and renting a car - that's why I wanted to be able to meet her there. I've asked her to try and change her rental reservation so that I can pick up the car in Glasgow and drive to Edinburgh and pick her up which might be the best option.

w62
London
Level Contributor
918 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

It would indeed - especially if you pick it up from Glasgow Airport.

Good luck with it all and have a good trip.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

Changing the car rental would be the best option.

It does make you wonder though why there isn't a transport link between the two airports...

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

You could get off the Glasgow - Edinburgh bus at Ingleston and walk to the airport from there.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to get from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh Airport

Surely a business opportunity for someone...

Changing car rental gets my vote...it is a fair walk from the main road to the airport especially if you have luggage.

All other ways are time consuming and awkward and just not what you need after an overnight flight from the US!

The drive from Glasgow airport is on good roads all the way and at the time you are arriving the rush hour should be well out of the way.