We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

University of Glasgow residences for tourists

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
University of Glasgow residences for tourists

Has anyone stayed here as a tourist during summer break? They have a few buildings. Any preferences?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

It depends, if you are looking for new, in good condition and with en-suite shower rooms look at Queen Margaret Halls in the west end. Most of the others are older, tattier and with shared facilities, but may be cheaper.

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

thanks goodwitch

That residence looks lovely from the pictures on their web site.

How long would it take to get to the city centre and the train station using public transit, or walking?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

You can walk to Hillhead subway station going through the Botanic Gardens. That would take you 15 or 20 minutes depending on how you walk. :) Its on Byres Road which is a great area full of shops and restaurants. You can get a subway to St Enoch's for Central Station or Buchanan Street for Queen Street Station.

The subway is a great way to get round Glasgow.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

Goodwitches advice is spot on, and being right by the Botanic Gardens would be great after a hot day of sightseeing.

In the evening you could take a stroll through the park down to the Great Western Road/Byres Road and enjoy a leisurely drink at Oranmor - its a church thats been converted into a performance/play/gig venue with restaurant and bars, and is very nicely done. There are quirky and trendy bars aplenty and a fine selection of popular eateries to suit all budgets a short stroll away.

I think there are a few smaller Uni properties not far from Byres road that the Postgraduates stay at that may also have decent facilities, but a quick email to the accomodations dept will confirm if this is true.

Enjoy the planning!

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

I see the School of Art has residences too and they are right in the city centre. Wonder if it's worthwhile to stay more central so I can walk around.

I have emailed them for more details about their accomodation.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

To be honest I would prefer to stay in the west end rather than the city c entre if I was a tourist and wanting to walk around at night . The New improved Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, the Transport Museum and the Science Centre are all within walking distance. As Purple says there are some great eating places and there are both Kelvingrove Park and the Botanic Gardens. If you want to go to the theatre or to the shops in the centre you are only 10 minutes by subway.

On the other hand, if you want to stay in a more central location look at the University of Strathclyde's residences. They tend to be more in the centre of town.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

Doeraymee - don't really know what your preferences are, but if you jump on the subway the centre of Glasgow is only minutes away from Hillhead underground on the Byres Road.

The whole West End area has a bohemian, laid back ,studenty buzz (though most students will have gone home for the hols, quite a few still remain and work in the cafes and shops.

If you were to fancy a late night out in the centre, then for around just five pounds a taxi will whisk you back to your apartment by the leafy Botanical Gardens whee you're probably more likely to get a decent nights sleep to refresh you for the next day.

That said, I'm a bit of a country bumpkin, and so a little biased!

Also down the Byres road is a quaint and tiny little cinema in the ancient cobblestoned alley of Ashton Lane, also full of trendy bars and the excellent Ashoka Indian Restaurant. The cinema even has cosy wee sofas from which to watch your film

myglasgow.org/glasgow/restaurants-byres_road…

I also came across this delightful 'community diary' featuring the area.

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/

Hope it gives you a flavour

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

Strathclyde University also open up some of their residences to tourists.

www.rescat.strath.ac.uk/accommodation.html

The Ross Priory on Loch Lomand is a hidden gem.

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

Thanks for the links!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
192 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: University of Glasgow residences for tourists

Definitely go for the Queen Margaret Halls - I stayed there a few times as a student at Glasgow Uni (a friend of mine was living there during term time) and while it's not luxury -no student halls are - it's a beautiful building and in a great area. A lot of the Strathclyde Uni buildings are more modern but not always in the best areas. The west end is gorgeous and much more comfortable for a stay of any length. You can easily get to anywhere else in the city via the underground, bus or taxi (or even walking if you're feeling energetic!) and you've got a wealth of activities and gorgeous buildings/grounds within easy walking distance.

If you decide to stay in the west end, as well as checking out the Uni buildings, Kelvingrove, the Grosvenor Cinema (in Ashton Lane) etc etc you should pop down to the Stand comedy club on Woodlands Rd - just down the road from Glasgow Uni and not too far from Queen Margaret Halls. It's the best stand-up venue in Glasgow and great if you like your comedy.

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow