We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long distance hike in late june for family of 4

virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
long distance hike in late june for family of 4

we're starting to plan next summer's vacation for family w 2 teenaged girls and are interested in advice for a week of hiking. We're in good shape and capable of hiking 15 + miles a day but want to use a company to haul bags and help arrange lodging w comfortable beds and good food close by.. Can anyone comment on how bad the midges are this time of year? Was thinking about doing Great Glen- but open to any path that has good scenery. opportunities to rock climb, bike, paddle, etc along the way would help keep teens from getting bored with hiking.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,088 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: long distance hike in late june for family of 4

http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/home.asp

the West Highland Way might be suitable for you.several companies will organise moving yoyr bags each day and there is lots of places to stay along the way.

The website should give you lots of info.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long distance hike in late june for family of 4

Yes, the West Highland way would be ideal for your group. I think it is a better, more varied and more consistently scenic walk than the Great Glen.

Depending on the weather, it will probaby be a bit midgy at times, but don't be put of by that - the weather changes all the time in Scotland, so it probably won't stay midgy for long. Just make sure you have midge repellent with you.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long distance hike in late june for family of 4

East Perthshire - easy to reach from Edinburgh or Glasgow

try www.pkct.org for information on the Cateran trail

which has been developed over the past years and has riding, rock climbing wall etc nearby.

Blairgowrie Tourist Information Centre can help with organizing of rooms, bag transfer and tips on activities for teens.

email: blairgowrietic@perthshire.co.uk

www.bepta.com has more info on the area & activities

this time of year is just glorious - glut of strwaberries & raspberries, chanterelle & first cep mushrooms are appearing - weather is fairly good

and hardly any midges in this part of the country.

Midges love the west coast & west highlands much more than our drier east coast.

Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: long distance hike in late june for family of 4

I walked the Great Glen Way a few years ago and thought it was amazing. There are plenty of places to stay en route and companies who will transfer your luggage daily. We chose to carry ours until we finally came to our senses on the last day faced with the final (definately most difficult day) 18 mile hike to Inverness!

We broke the hike into 5 days;

Day 1 - Fort William to Gairlochy, an easy 11 miles along canal towpath passing Neptunes Staircase, a series of canal locks. Stayed at Dalcomera B&B which I'd highly recommend. Beautiful house with views of Ben Nevis. Evening meal and packed lunch available if required.

Day 2 - Gairlochy to Aberchalder, 17 fairly easy miles (even in constant rain!) mainly along lochsides. Coffee stop at The Great Glen water park.(May have facilities for paddling etc.) Stayed at Lundie View Lodge - basic but adequate.

Day 3 - Aberchalder to Invermoriston, 13.5 miles, again fairly easy. First stretch along towpath to the lovely town of Fort Augustus, shops, pubs, more canal locks, boat trips on Loch Ness. Then a climb up to forest path overlooking the loch almost all the way to Invermoriston, a smallish village with quite a few B&B's(we stayed at Bracarina House which was lovely), and places to eat.

Day 4 - Invermoriston to Drumnadrochit, 13.5 miles, a bit hard going for us, lots of uphill and downhill stretches along forest roads!! Stayed at Morlea B&B in Drumnadrochit and had a nice meal in 'Fiddlers'. Drumnadrochit also near Urquhart Castle and Nessie visitor centre which you might enjoy, of course by this time you may already have caught sight of the dear old girl!!

Day 5 - Drumnadrochit to Inverness, 18 miles uphill and across moorland then finally down into Inverness. Lovely views across the Beauly Firth to The Black Isle. Felt like we should have arrived at Inverness Castle to a trumpet fanfare but sadly only a bemused foreign tourist who kindly took a photo for us!!

It's also possible to cycle The Great Glen Way, although I'm not sure if you could hire bikes for just one part of it. I think your daughters would enjoy Fort William (add an extra day to climb Ben Nevis) and Inverness. There are lots of opportunities for outdoor activities in the area. Check out these websites

www.greatglenway.com

www.activity-scotland.org.uk

www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/outdoors.htm

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

P.S. we did the walk late May and the midges didn't bother us much at all.

Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long distance hike in late june for family of 4

Forgot to mention that there are dolphin cruises from Inverness Harbour.

scotland-inverness.co.uk/inverness-trips.htm

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: long distance hike in late june for family of 4

The Great Glen way would be perfect for you as it has a range of different things to see. The route splits nicely for a 5 day hike and one of the responses breaks the stages down very well. I did the Great Glen earlier this year and also stayed in Lundie View Lodge in Aberchalder. I found it to be very comfortable and we had ordered meals in advance which is the best lasagne I have ever tasted! I think it is under new ownership as the guy mentioend they had taken over last year. They let us stuff and dry our boots by the fire and it was all round excellent. The other places were good too but make sure you know where they are becuase the addresses can be misleading. One place we stayed at was Invermoristen and the B&B was 10 miles outside the village!!! So beware or you are in for an extended hike! The guy came and picked us up though which was good of him.

The midges are hell but mostly in July / August when it is damp with no wind. Skin So Soft from Avon works well as a midge repellent.

Hope this helps.

7. Re: long distance hike in late june for family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands