We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B non-refundable deposit

London
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
B&B non-refundable deposit

Hi

Has anyone else had this experience? I made a booking and then cancelled within 24 hours for 1 night at the Distillery Guest House in Fort William, 2 weeks in advance of the night. Three weeks later I received a receipt in the mail for a charge on my credit card for a non-refundable deposit. This wasn't mentioned at anytime before, so I was surprised they could charge my credit card without my knowledge. I've subsequently found out legally they can charge you the first night if ever you book, even if you cancel weeks in advance and they don't mention it, and I was told by the Guest House that it is standard practice. I've never experienced this before and I travel a lot. Has anyone else had this experience?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B non-refundable deposit

Yes, a number of times I have been in the situation where my deposit was non-refundable. But I did know that in advance. And the one time I did cancel, the B&B proprietor was kind enough to refund the deposit. But I was certainly aware that that was a generous gesture, and I was very appreciative.

Chicago
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B non-refundable deposit

Yes. That happened to me on the island of Mull. We'd driven so long one day that we just couldn't reach our destination so I phoned them to let them know we couldn't get there....thinking I'd do the right thing rather than just no show up. They thanked me but a few weeks after getting back to the states, I got a charge on my credit card and a letter saying they'd not been able to rent our room so they had to charge me. I was surprised but I suppose should have expected it.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B non-refundable deposit

Hi

They should have told you about their cancellation policy when you made the booking. If they didn't tell you then I don't think you should have to pay - check this out with your credit card company maybe they can retrieve it for you?

Good luck

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B non-refundable deposit

I agree with the above post. Every ime we buy something from a shop etc, they clearly show conditions of purhase. If you were not advised of their policy you should insist they refund you, or they are likely to get bad publicity. It is in their interest to keep you satisfied, in case you want to book again.