We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting in the winter

CT
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
visiting in the winter

hi,

i am visiting a friend in glasgow this december and was considering heading up to the highlands for a couple of days, as i have never been. is it worth it to go in the winter? any suggestions on what to see/do? i have been looking into aviemore and then going to loch ness but i was told the snow for skiing is fairly unpredictable. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!

-Kelly

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting in the winter

Hi Kelly,

I wouldn;t plan on ski-ing. If it happens when you are there, then fine, but, as you say, its unpredictable.

Aviemore has a lot more activities - dog-sledding, sleigh-riding, etc etc,

Yes the Highlands in winter are worth it. Some would say its the best season. However, don't expect great weather, or much in the way of daylight.

But as you are Glasgow you should be able to watch the weather forecasts and choose your moment/place for a quick trip.

Do try and see Glencoe and Rannoch Moor in winter. Makes you glad to be alive.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting in the winter

Hi Kelly,

Visiting the Highlands in the Winter is well worth a visit.I do Winter mountain climbing in Scotland especially Glencoe area.The views & scenery in Glencoe are beautiful.If you head to Fort William and enjoy walking,visit Steall Falls.Its a 3hr walk.

Maybe visit Oban after Glencoe,then head to Fort William.After that visit Aviemore although you will miss The Husky Racing which is in January.There are lots of nice walks in the area.As Peterscot said,try dog sledding,its a great experience.I did it in Kent two yrs ago.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting in the winter

Do make sure you factor in the daylight hours to your planning- it is only really daylight from around 9am to 3.30 at that time of the year.

Gozo
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting in the winter

can you make these acivities in May like dog sledging or sleigh riding?? what is the website for the weather forecast?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting in the winter

www.visitaviemore.com/allactivities.html

I assume the dog-sledding is year-round, but don't know for sure.

You can get weather forecasts at the www.bbc.co.uk

Gozo
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting in the winter

thnaks for you information but I think end of May the temperatures are between 19-8 degrees??

aviemore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting in the winter

The sled dog centre is open all year - it does not need snow necessarily.

The Aviemore and Cairngorms area is very beautiful and there are lots of festive events on. It does get dark early and that is when it is time to head to a warm fire and a glass of gluwein or hot chocolate! There are some great deals early December - I am not sure when your planning to visit exactly.

The events list is now online http://www.visitaviemore.com/december09.html

Have a great trip - it is well worth the visit. You can also get some great rail fares for £10 single to the Highlandds from Glasgow.

CT
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting in the winter

These are all great! Thanks!!

CT
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting in the winter

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was just wondering if anyone could offer suggestions regarding how much time to stay in each place- I really want to try and fit in a visit to the isle of skye as well but I'm not sure if it will work out! i know it's fairly far from aviemore and lochness.

here's what i had been *ideally* hoping to do but I know it might be fairly unfeasible.

Day1 …Arrive in Scotland 1130… see Glasgow (cathedral, city chambers, etc).

Day2….Head up to Rannoch Moor

Day3 …Fort William, take train (afternoon) etc to Isle of Skyeeeeee (isle of skye hotel/hostel cost?)

Day4…Isle of Skye, leave for loch ness at night? (look up how far)

Day5…Loch ness, see aviemore? head back to Glasgow

Day6…Depart 7am

I will have to look up everything more, but as I was not really sure what there was to see in each place, i wasn't sure what the best amount of time to spend would be. Otherwise, I would probably just cut out the isle of skye and spend extra time in Aviemore or something. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting in the winter

Hi,

There are several crucial gaps in your plans which are confusing me...

You can get the bus or the train from Glasgow to Fort William. You'll cross Rannoch Moor. I wouldn't get off the transport unless you are sure you have accommodation - it is a wilderness.

How will you get around Skye? Bus?

I was in Skye last December. Dawn was about 9am, dusk about 3.30. So 'night' arrives early. You need to check the bus timetables from Skye to Inverness.

I'm not saying "don't go"; I'm saying your daylight will be restricted and your time will be determined by the timetables.

This site should help -

http://www.travelinescotland.com/welcome.do

Sorry - I don't know much about Aviemore, except that it is not a scenic town - but its near somegreat scenery.