We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for golf

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for golf

We are a family of five adults, my dad n mom (60-65ys) are avid amateur golfers- they put in a round of 18 holes 2-3 times a week here, Dads got a 15 handicap, moms in the 30s.

I m planning on staying at Craigellachie for 2 days and Isle of Skye for another 2 days in beginning of July.

Any suggestions for courses?

I m looking for small courses , not too expensive (about 50-60GBP including green fees, golf set and trolley rental). for the two of them. Lookng for some scenic areas - me and my wife are into photography. I googled a little, and found the Dufftown golf course.. Any other suggestions?

And how soon should I book a round of golf for the first week of July ?

Thanks in advance

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for golf

The following are really super golf courses and easily driveable

Boat of Garten - www.boatgolf.com - a gem, scenic and a good challenge of golf.

Nairn - either the Nairn Golf Course, or the Nairn Dunbar.

Kingussie is also a nice course, although probably not so handy for you.

Hope this helps

PS on the way to Nairn is Johnstone's of elgin, which sells lovely cashmere - may be of interest to your mom??

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for golf

The web site for Isle of Syke Golf Course is here:

http://www.isleofskyegolfclub.co.uk/

You may also find this website useful:

http://www.scottishgolfcourses.com/

Eleanor

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,585 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for golf

www.grantownonspeygc.co.uk

How about Grantown on Spey Golf Club? Weekend fees are £34 and weekday £29. A lovely 18 hole GC with beautiful views of the surrounding hills and forests - you might even see a capercaillie!(largest member of the grouse family - quite rare now in Scotland)

There is also a course at Nethy Bridge although I think its a nine hole course and one at Carrbridge about 10 miles north of Grantown

www.carrbridgegolf.com

www.abernethygolfclub.com

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for golf

If you are staying at Craigellachie then you should play Dufftown - not to far to travel at all.

The nearest next 'pocket' of courses is around Grantown to Boat of Garten. Boat of Garten is well worth playing.

Isle of Skye and mainland to the east does not have many courses. There are two 9 holes courses on Skye - Isle of Skye and Skeabost.

Aberlour
Level Contributor
48 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for golf

There is a most delightful 9 hole course (go round twice) at Rothes in an elavated spot,surrounded by the most glorious scenery in Speyside.

You have clear uninterupted views of the River Spey as it winds it's way down below you towards Craigellachie.

You will have a clear uninterupted view of the Conval hills and only 2km away there are the lovely falls at the Dounie and in summer you will hear the call of the cuckoos echoing across from the nearby woods.

To get to the Rothes Golf course from Craigellachie,turn left at the High Street, just after Rothes Castle (albeit only a wall remaining but impressive nonetheless) and drive past the J&B (Justerinin &Brooks) distillery,following the single track tarmaced road to the left and the golf course and new club house is there.

The course was only established in the 1990s after the splitting up of the vast ROTHES ESTATE and allowed some truly spectacular lands previously owned by the estates to be used for the benefit of the small distillery town of Rothes.

For lunch either eat at the club or go the Seafield Hotel in New Street,again newly refurbished.

There are some flood alleviation works in progress but please do not let this deter you from staying in Rothes for a day's golf or even a wander around the truly magnifuicent natural waterfalls in the Victorian Gardens of GlenGrant Distillery.

6. Re: Suggestions for golf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:16