We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish Christmas Break Recommendations???

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Scottish Christmas Break Recommendations???

Yes i know Christmas is a long way off but need to start saving, plan ahead etc.

Im basically looking for recommendations for a hotel over Christmas for myself and girlfriend in the Scottish Highlands. Something middle of the road price wise and a small b&b or hotel rather than big chain. Ideally out in the countryside in amongst the hills, maybe around glenshiel / glencoe / glennevis way.

Any recommendations welcome.

Aberlour
Level Contributor
48 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottish Christmas Break Recommendations???

Why not think about coming to the area of Moray and surrounding Speyside over the Christmas and Hogmany break.

Only 35mins from Aviemore for outdoor pursuits but close enough to enjoy Hogmany at Dufftown where there is usually a Hogmany ceihlidh in the centre and the Dufftown pipe band heralds in the New Year.

Good place to stay is the newly refurbished Seafield Hotel in the distillery town of Rothes where there are many scenic walks along the banks of the River Spey and up to the Dounie and Faerie wells, around 5km, all in.

Check out the Glengrant distillery if it is open as I think it has extended its opening dates to pretty much all year and enjoy the Victorian Garden with its stupendous natural waterfalls...breathtaking.

You can travel to Lossiemoth Silver Sands about 12 milas from Rothes and walk along the coastal walks along the old fishing villages of Hopeman,Burghead and don't forget Cullen further along the caost with spectacular scenery and walks.

If you want take a bike along the Speyside Way there are a few places that do bike hire and one of them is a b&b in Aberlour, can't remember name, but when I remember it I'll post it.

Ride your bike over the stunning Craigellachie bridge designed by Thomas Telford and look at the swirling river Spey below you.

Eat at the Highlander Inn in Craigellachie.

Don't forget a look round the Elgin Cathedral's spectacular ruins and look up the HISTORIC SCOTLAND website on google.

Elgin has a leisure centre for swimming and skating again check if open over new year period.

Have a look in at Johnstons cashmere mill in Elgin

Take the train from Elgin to Inverness and travel further North if you are looking for more solitude or else drop into the Victorian Spa town of Strathpeffer and spend a day there as your base for further exploration.

Edited: 30 March 2010, 12:29
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,318 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottish Christmas Break Recommendations???

Here's one suggestion http://www.invergarryhotel.co.uk/ or how about http://www.glenspeanlodge.com/

Aberlour
Level Contributor
48 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottish Christmas Break Recommendations???

forgot to mention that you could walk up Ben aigen near Rothes

4. Re: Scottish Christmas Break Recommendations???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 06:23