We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

Hi. My partner and I are planning to tour Scotland in September in a motorhome. We have heard a lot of how picturesque the western side of Scotland is, and would welcome any suggestions as to where to visit/stay. We both enjoy walking in the countryside, spotting the wildlife and relaxing in the midst of lovely scenery.We don't aim to stick rigidly to the western side but prefer to steer clear of the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities.

Many thanks.

Humpyand madge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

It's all good - just drive around. Head north and west until you run out of road.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

Fantastic holiday plan!

Big Sands campsite, near Gairloch on the west coast, is very nice, and has incredible pitches looking out over a beautiful sandy beach and the ocean beyond. It is a must see!

:-)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

Fantastic holiday plan!

Big Sands campsite, near Gairloch on the west coast, is very nice, and has incredible pitches looking out over a beautiful sandy beach and the ocean beyond. It is a must see!

:-)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

Have you come across the Undiscovered Scotland website which has lots of information and pictures.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

It also has several driving tours which you might find useful to give you an idea of what there is to do and see.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/index.html

Cleethorpes, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

Hi, I would head up towards Fort William through Glencoe (awesome views when the weather is clear!) and then head out on the 'Road to the Isles' toward Mallaig (A830). The area is famed for its dramatic and beautiful scenery and does not disappoint! Rugged windswept mountains, lochs and beautiful white sandy beaches are what this area is known for. I could ramble on for hours about places to go and things to see if you are into views and nice walks etc.!

A good site near Fort William is Glen Nevis - a large but peaceful site at the foot of Ben Nevis, well equipped and with great views and walks close by.

Then we always head out to a little place called Arisaig a few miles from Mallaig, and would recommend a stay in this area... if you intend to mainly use your own onboard facilities then try Invercaimbe caravan site - a small and basic site of 20 pitches, straight onto the beach, with breathtaking views across to the islands of Eigg, Rum and Skye. (as I write this I'm staring out at them from the comfort of my caravan on a windy and wet day!)Another similar site close by is Portnadoran. Both offer hookups and clean albeit basic facilities on working crofts.

From Mallaig you can cross by a short ferry ride onto Skye then take the route up to Kyle of Lochalsh and cross back by the Skye bridge, taking in more amazing views and maybe stopping at Plockton or Eilean Donan Castle, then even head further north exploring the Applecross Peninsula?

The possibilities are endless, get your map book out and go for it!

Hope you enjoy your trip wherever it takes you. For me this region is Heaven and I hope you enjoy it. My only words of warning, as I always say to those visiting the highlands, if you're going for the good weather you've got maybe the wrong idea!

Cleethorpes, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

Forgot to add - a good website on this area is www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

On your way up you could do worse than stay at the Lomond Woods caravan park in Balloch. It gets a very good name. It's also very convenient for Loch Lomond and there's plenty do in the area with regard to recreation, eating and drinking.

www.holiday-parks.co.uk/index.php…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

Thank you so much to all who have left postings with advice. Much appreciated. Counting down now the days until we set off! Can't wait !

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

While I would agree with all the suggestions provided, one thing I would say is that, if you are not familiar with driving a motorhome, be careful with some of the roads (particularly if going north form Kyle of Lochalsh to Gairloch) which can be single track with passing points and some tight bends. Enjoy

Level Contributor
3,763 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring western side of Scotland for 2 weeks in a motorhome

How about a loop route starting in Fort William, up to Skye, then across North Uist, Berneray, Harris, and then either back through Skye, or up to Lewis and across to Ullapool and down, depending on time.

That way you get a great mix of raw mountainous Skye, wildnerness Uist and stunning beaches of Berneray and Harris. It leaves you with flexibility too as you can add/cut places, which would be great with a motorhome.