We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highland tours

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Highland tours

I need help finding a company or credible individual for our family trip to the Highlands. We are looking for someone to drive our group of 9 on a multi-day tour to places such as Loch Ness, Inverness, isle of Mull, and Oban. We don't want to do it ourselves, as we will have children with us and we don't want to worry about driving. We are looking for a knowledgeable guide or company but don't want to break the bank. Any good suggestions would be much appreciated!

Crathie
Level Contributor
848 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Highland tours

This guy gets a lot of good press on TA, but I see on his website he takes groups of 8. However, there's no harm in contacting him to see if he can help, or perhaps recommend someone else who can accommodate your group

http://www.mini-tours.com/

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highland tours

Where are you going to be based during your holiday? I presume you want someone to come and drive you to the places you mention - are you planning on returning to your base each night? I have someone in mind but need to know the answer to the above before I could recommend him and his company.

Woody x

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highland tours

Sownack- thank you, I actually did contact Craig! He is booked for all of May 2011! I was disappointed.

Crathie
Level Contributor
848 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Highland tours

You are welcome. Sorry he could not help you, but perhaps woodybark might be able to assist.

Enjoy your holiday whatever happens :-)

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highland tours

Hi Woody-

We do want someone to come and drive us around. I think we are intending not to stay in the same place the whole time though. Maybe 2 nights in Tobermory, 2 nights somewhere else. I think the places we want to hit will be too far to return each night.

Thanks!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highland tours

I have to say that will make it expensive because the driver would then need accommodation. Was Craig the guy you contacted not able to recommend anyone else?

I know you say you don't want to worry about doing the driving but at least it would be a cheaper and more flexible option. You also don't seem to have a set idea of where you want to go and what you want to see - I would firm up on those decisions before you try to book a driver because your itinerary is going to affect the price.Leave it with me meantime and I will give it some more thought and research. May is a very busy time of year for birdwatching in Scotland so its likely that a lot of places may already be booked even with the accommodation side of things and with 9 of you to consider that makes things even more awkward.

If it were me I would be looking at renting a house somewhere in the centre of the areas you want to visit - so work out what you really want to see and do and then seriously consider hiring a self drive mini bus. Even if you needed to spend a couple of nights away from base it wouldn't be that bad. Driving in the UK is not really that bad and as I said it gives you so much flexibility. If you read a lot of the posts on here from U.S. visitors many of them have found driving in Scotland to be an interesting experience but not as bad as they had feared!

Woody x

Edited: 04 September 2010, 10:16
7. Re: Highland tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2011, 05:17