We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Ft Augustus

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Ft Augustus

We will be in Ft Augustus for 4 nights in mid Sept and plan to do day trips out from there. A friend suggested we go up to see the Falls of Shin and salmon leaping. We don't like to backtrack when travelling so thought perhaps we could drive on around over to Ullapool then back to Ft Augustus. Google Maps say it's a 5 hr trip. We aren't into hiking and just like driving and looking at pretty scenery, visiting small villages and just enjoying our day out. Would this day be a feasible day plan? Worth It? Is there anything over in Ullapool? Would we be better heading in a nother direction?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Ft Augustus

Have a look at the driving tours listed here:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/index.html

Applecross and Torridon or Gairloch and Poolewe can easily be done from Fort Augustus and would make excellent days out.

Coigach and Assynt is another good trip but is further to drive.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Ft Augustus

I thought the Falls of Shin was disappointing but that's just my opinion - it was a bit overrated. Gailoch and Ullapool are definitely worth a visit for the beautiful scenery if its a nice day. Great fish and chips in Ullapool too - don't miss them and its a good cheap lunch. Check out EESW's suggestion of the driving tours website

Woody x

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Ft Augustus

Thanks EESW and Woody. I think I'll have a 2nd thought about visiting the Falls of Shin (the couple travelling with us didn't think it sounded all that great anyway but I thought it would give us a chance to see some spectacular scenery) I've had a look at the 3 tours EESW suggested. The Gairloch and Applecross both look good. I don't suppose they could both be done in a day? If I had to choose which would be the better for seeing the real scenery of the Highlands?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Ft Augustus

They could depending on how many stops you make along the way to take photos and admire the scenery! It would be a long day.

Corrishallock gorge is well worth the walk.

Both are excellent as far as scenery goes and I would be hard put to choose between them.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Ft Augustus

We are planning to go to Applecross for a say trip from Invergarry. I was considering going to Torridon as well as the scenery looks amazing but wondered if it would be too much to go to Torridon as well for a drive or is it not too far?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Ft Augustus

How far is the walk into Corrishallock Gorge? We are all in our 60's and one of our group has bad knees.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Ft Augustus

This may help -

walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/corrieshalloch.…

Woody x

8. Re: Day trip from Ft Augustus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 01:18