We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

London
12 posts
Save Topic
Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

Hello there,

I am seeing some advice on what to see in the Highlands please.

On Saturday week my girlfriend and I are going to take my parents to stay near Inverness for a week. My Dad is nearer 80 than 70 and not so steady on his feet any more, but still likes to walk for 2 or 3 miles if the terrain is not too hard going.

We would like to see the most stunning scenery Scotland has to offer, mountains, lochs, waterfalls, etc.

We will be staying pretty much on either the east or west bank of Loch Ness.

So far I am thinking about a drive round Skye (but are there definite places you have to stop, or roads to take?). Or is there a better drive?

Then possibly a walk to Plodda Falls, another short walk to see the tallest trees. I was wonder about the walk at Glen Nevis, but concerned it might be too dangerous. Also the Gondola, or Mountain Railway. Are they worth doing?

So, yes please any advice at all about where to drive, some easy but stunning walks, and which castle....

Thank you very much ;o)

Stephen

Dingwall, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

hi, if you are staying near Inverness then a day trip to Skye is going to be a long day there and back. If you can you would be better taking it easy and having a night in the Portree area so you can explore the island at your leisure.

Ullapool is a good day out with cracking scenery, as is a trip down to Fort William and back via Loch Ness.

Cromarty village at the end of the Black Isle is worth a visit.

There are plenty of places to walk.

London
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

Thanks for the reply. We are looking at staying near Levishie, and thought with 2 drivers going to the Isle of Skye, round, and back would be about 6 hours driving, rather a trek but doable. And we could have 2 or 3 hours looking at views during the day.

Now though following other suggestions I am wondering if we are better skipping the Isle of Skye and driving to Applecross instead.

Now Ullapool in the mix too?

Fort William we will do for sure ;o)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

Have a look at these driving tours which can easily be done from Inverness.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/applecros…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/gairloch-…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/coigach-a…

Corrishallock Gorge which is on A835 Ullapool road is well worth considering and is along a well made track from the car park.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ullapool/corriesh…

HAve a look at the maps on the Undiscovered Scotland website. Follow the links to text pages with pictures and lots of information on things to do and see.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

Glen Affric is not far from Inverness, and one of the prettiest spots in Scotland. Should be fine for short walks too.

The gondola is great at Aonoch Mor.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,134 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

tripadvisor.com/…31605914

Have a look at the above thread for loads of info about the Loch Ness area which my TA colleague Goanjock posted a while back

Woody x

London
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

I was wondering about the Gondola, or the Mountain train, but was edging towards the Gondola as there are little walks we can do at the top, I am told.

What do you think?

And as I have asked on another thread, are these drives, particularly Applecross more impressive than Skye?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

It's not just a question of more impressive, it's what you can do in a day from where you are staying.

London
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

I think we could do it, but maybe it would be a rush.

Mm. Assuming we could do it, and it would take 8 hours, 6 of driving, which would you choose for the views?

(incidentellay we are staying near Errogie)

9. Re: Staying near Loch Ness. What MUST we see and do.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands