We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to pack

Decatur, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
how to pack

Hello All,

My mom and I will be spending 2 weeks in the Highlands and Western Isles (after a week in Ireland) in mid-June. Since we will be gone for so long and can only bring 1 suitcase, I am trying to figure out ALL of the neccessities we will need. We have our rain jackets (3-in-1 jackets) and will waterproof our shoes. Here is where we need help:

Do we need any shorts or will pants be the best option?

Is a sweater really needed or will it be easier to buy one if needed when we get there?

And where to do you get the 'midge repellent"?

Thanks in advance!

Tracie

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Decatur, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: how to pack

WOW! Thanks for all of the great information. I will bring my fleece and a waterproof jacket...may look in to the zip-off pants too. It seems khakis may be a better choice than the jeans I was planning on bringing (I love jeans).

I have a few more questions, if I may:

1. Should I convert my dollars before leaving the U.S or wait until I reach the airport in Glasgow?

2. How do you suggest we travel from Dublin to Glasgow? We are looking at booking an Air Lingus flight, but would love your opinions.

Thanks again for all of the help! I'm so excited about going and can't wait to get there!

EmbraChap- sorry about the sunburn. :(

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: how to pack

You should get money out of cash machines - they usually offer fairly good rates unless your bank (which determines the rate) is usurious.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: how to pack

The Aer Lingus flight is certainly an easy way to get between the cities. Small plane and a short flight. Just watch out for the baggage fees

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: how to pack

My friend who is coming over from the USA in June asked the same question about the money. All you need is a debit card which you use to withdraw money from ATMs in the USA and you can use it here and make sure your bank knows which countries you plan to travel to so they don't put a stop on the card. That way you can just withdraw the currency of the country you are in as and when you need it and not carry too much cash around. You can also pay for meals with a debit or credit card if you wish and use that facility at home anyway. You can also bank money in a credit card although the fees may be higher. best to ask your bank what's the best idea for you. Anyway we call ATMs the "hole in the wall" - my friend thought that was hilarious!!

I don't know if Easyjet do a flight from Dublin to Glasgow - it may just be to Edinburgh, which is another option as they are only one hour apart by train IF the Easyjet flight is cheaper than Aer Lingus - but watch your baggage charges on ANY "low cost" airline, they can fairly mount up.

Have a great holiday

Woody x

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,081 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: how to pack

Easyjet don't fly from Dublin to anywhere. Ryanair do, but they use Prestwick which has it's advantages and disadvantages, they nickel and dime everything and when they say something they mean it TO THE LETTER - don't expect any leeway in anything.

But I refer you to the standard text on the subject - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Decatur, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: how to pack

Woodybark,

We are doing a tour that includes Edinburgh, Thurso, Orkney, Inverness, Isle of Skye, Glasgow, and many in between towns.

Do you think we should water-proof our shoes? I've only been to Scotland once before and I was able to wear sandals, so I'm not so sure the water-proofing is a necessity.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: how to pack

Obviously it would depend on what time of year you are coming and the weather that is forecast! July and August seem to be getting wetter than in previous years but really its all pot luck. I live here and I don't waterproof my shoes but I do sometimes wear shoes with thick soles and waterproof lining if the weather is bad - so if you don't want wet feet I suggest you bring one pair of sturdy trainers/walking shoes to take you through the worst that the Scottish weather MAY throw at you

Happy holidays

Woody x

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: how to pack

Sorry - I forgot you were coming in June. The weather will be hot and sunny over the whole of Scotland but especially Speyside where temperatures will reach record highs from 10th to 21st June - organised especially for MY visitors from the U.S.A. so you are quite safe - its not going to rain at all. In fact there will be a water shortage and we will all be boiling and gasping for some rain - sorry to disappoint you!!! Ha! Ha!

;-)))

W x

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,081 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: how to pack

< In fact there will be a water shortage >

Which means you'll have to drink whisky neat

Decatur, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: how to pack

All Right! Whisky instead of water...this trip just keeps getting better! Thanks for all your help.