We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit land of ancestors

Jacksonville...
8 posts
Save Topic
Visit land of ancestors

My maiden name is McLure originally MacLure . About 1650, 3 MacLure brothers (my ancestors) moved from Drumtochty, Scotland to Ballynashanagh, Ireland. Anyone know where Drumtochty is ? I also have McDougall ancestors supposedly from near Banff. With 12 days in Scotland, my husband and I plan to drive a rental car starting in Edinburgh to rural locations including Isle of Skye home of the McLeod Clan . We will probably go N. around past Inverness to Skye. We are also looking for pre 1200 hedges or "sacred places" We would like to stay at B & B's & will avoid all large cities except Edinburgh. We arrive on May 10 th. Any ideas wii be appriciated.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit land of ancestors

I googled Drumtochty and came up with this

http://www.drumtochtyhighlandgames.com/

there's also

http://www.drumtochtycastle.com/

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit land of ancestors

Hi

Depending on when your ancestors left Banff it would be worth you having a look on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk if you haven't already - it is an excellent and cheap source of information.

If you like really old historic sites you could think of visiting the Clava stone circle when you are near Inverness.

If you want a good guide book to help on your travels you could do a lot worse than get "Scotland the Best" by Peter Irvine - it is very popular with Scots.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit land of ancestors

In Edinburgh (and elsewhere) there are loads of tartan places that do ancestry, but they won't provide much more than a clan history by name. You might also visit the Edinburgh Central Library, who have a Scottish room, or the National Library of Scotland, who have extensive and expert records; in both cases you'd be best advised to contact them in advance rather than turn up unannounced, in the hope something might be ready for you when you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
National Library of Scotland
National Library of...
138 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit land of ancestors

Hedges. Henges?

There are stone circles and ancient buildings in many many places, including Skye. Almost every detailed map in the Highlands will be spotted with symbols for cairns, cists, stone circles.

On that basis places worth visiting could include the Orkneys (Skara Brae, ring of Brodgar), or Kilmartin, SOuth of Oban (an archeological museum) to pluck just two from a list of hundreds. If you're heading for Skye via Inverness a possible return route could be down the west coast via Oban ...

Did you know wikipedia has started collating references to Scottish archeology?

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Archaeological_…

-

(if you do mean hedges, undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/blairgowrie/meikl… )

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit land of ancestors

I would second Fifporter's suggestion of Clava Cairns and Culloden battlefield nearby - maybe some of your folks fought in the battle?

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/clavaca…

Regards

Woody x

PS There are no large cities in the Highlands - Inverness is busy but its not on any sort of large scale like Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 17:34
Mentioned in this post
Culloden Battlefield
Culloden Battlefield
3,027 Reviews
Culloden Moor, UK
Clava Cairns
Clava Cairns
408 Reviews
Scottish Highlands, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit land of ancestors

there's a lot of info on all things "stoney" on this website

http://stonepages.com/scotland/scotland.html

Jacksonville...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit land of ancestors

Thanks for all the information on the guide book, Clava stone circles and Kilmartin. I also found undiscoveredscotland and stonepages facinating. I have my homework cut out for me as I locate and plot all the places along our route (or make changes in it). Thanks for all your help.

I am new to the forum so do I go back to the main page to ask additional questions or continue here?

london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit land of ancestors

Lyn, if your next questions are on the same topic then you continue to post here ... if you want to ask about something totally different you'd be best to start a new thread, either on this forum or another relevant forum ... and it helps if you make the title fairly specific to catch people's interest

by the way, there's lots of information on accommodation on

http://www.visitscotland.com/

Edited: 16 April 2012, 01:11
Jacksonville...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit land of ancestors

Thanks, I'll try back at the main page

10. Re: Visit land of ancestors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:40