We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel

NJ
Level Contributor
25 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Train Travel

We are arriving in Edinburgh on May 16 (two couples).and leaving from there May 27. It is a travel, golf trip. First stop will be St. Andrews and then the Highlands. Karen wants to visit Coatsbridge, where her mother lived. We are considering traveling mostly by train. Any recommendations ?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel

scotrail.co.uk/content/timetables-connections

For St.Andrews it is train to Leuchars,then a short bus or cab ride.

Do you mean Coatbridge which is just to the east of Glasgow?

If so it is easily reached by train from Glasgow or Edinburgh.

NJ
Level Contributor
25 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel

Thanks, it is Coatbridge

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel

Probably best to go from Edinburgh to Inverness - there are loads of stops which you may want to get off and explore from

e.g. Dunkeld - Cathedral and River Walks

Pitlochry - Edradour Distillery and Dam and Fish Ladder

Blair Atholl - Castle and Gardens

Kingussie -Highland Wildlife Park, nice little highland village

Aviemore - Cairngorm Mountain railway

Check out the Undiscovered Scotland Website to see what each one has to offer and click on some of the names I have mentioned above, especially those running alongside the A9 route.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/west…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

From Inverness you could go down to Fort William and then on up the West Highland Line to Mallaig

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/west…

I'm sure you will get loads more info and detail from others very soon

Woody x

PS The trains don't have a lot of room for large suitcases so travel as light as you can.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel

If you are already in St Andrews and heading North from there, you can travel by train to Dundee then Perth, then northwards; or Dundee, Aberdeen then westwards along the north coast

This will help you get your bearings

projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/scotland_scotra…

Then you can hit Scotrail to make bookings. Do your bookings in advance, and soon: there are discounts for advance bookings and prices for tickets can be much much more if left until the day.

cajungumnuts
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel

I am also interested in taking the train from Edinburgh to Inverness during our trip in May. My question is what to do with luggage if we decide to make stops along the way? Is there an option to store suitcases at the train stations?

cajungumnuts
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel

I am also interested in taking the train from Edinburgh to Inverness during our trip in May. My question is what to do with luggage if we decide to make stops along the way? Is there an option to store suitcases at the train stations?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel

Only the largest stations (and Inverness) have left luggage counters. There is no locker storage at railway stations for security reasons.

Stirling has lockers at the bus station next to the railway station.

NJ
Level Contributor
25 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel

Change of plans. We are looking to go from St. Andrews to Glasgow, with a day trip to Coatbridge and then to Inverness. How is the train travel ?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Travel

http://www.transportdirect.info will help you by showing all public transport options.

At a quick glance, the train-based options involve a bus to Dundee and then train to Glasgow, journey times a little over 2 hours, and roughly hourly frequency.

NJ
Level Contributor
25 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Travel

Thank you. Is the travel time of 2 hours from St. Andrews to Dundee or from St. Andrews to Dundee to Glasgow ? Thanks again. The web site is a big help.