We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
NY
Level Contributor
533 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

We are planning to go early next year, and looking to hire a guide/driver who can help with an itinerary for a group of 6.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

Jim Johnstone is an outstanding driver and tour guide for the area. Jim helped in planning our activities for around the highlands. We cannot say enough great things about Jim and his touring service, Private Tours Scotland. Jim planned three full day experiences for us that included not only the best sights, but a terrific vehicle, outstanding commentary and his wonderful personality. Jim made each area come to life with his in depth knowledge of the sights and history of the area. Our vacation would not have been half as enjoyable if we had not found Jim Johnstone and Private Tours Scotland. Jim began his correspondence and planning with me a year in advance of our arrival.

Our three days of touring totaled 1040 BPS or around $1700 in January 2013 so during the off season. Every tour day and pricing depended upon where we went and how long of a day was planned. Jim personally made suggestions and returned my emails immediately with patience and practical suggestions.

The best decision I made for our trip to Scotland was to book Jim Johnstone.

Thank you Jim from MJ, Mike, Annette and Joe!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

This is only January 10th MJF so I presume you have just got back??

it all sounds a bit fishy to me....

W x

New Hope...
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

Yes, we returned just yesterday!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

;-)

It just seems a bit starnge that you decided to post your glowing review right when all this contorversy was happening if you see what I mean?

W x

Edited: 10 January 2013, 21:41
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

Sorry that should read "strange" - obviously had too much "whsiky" at tea time tonight!!

New Hope...
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

To what controversy are you referring ? I must admit, I do not understand why my review of Jim Johnstone would prompt you to question my sincerity. My husband and I have hired drivers over the past two years in Ireland, Israel and the USA. I believe in taking the time to write reviews of thanks when people go out of their way for me and make my trip to their country a beautiful and memorable experience. if Jim lived near us , I would be happy to call him a friend.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

I have to also add my appreciation for Jim Johnstone. Our group returned yesterday (Jan 9th), and during the off season, several of the attractions we visited were closed. Jim was our personal narrator and guide filling in the background and lore for the sites. He has a terrific, friendly personality, and a wealth of history to add to our visits. He specialties are whiskey tours, and I recommend that you plan on Balvenie and Glengoyne for the 2 top rated tours.

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

I promised to update you with my experience from September regarding Jim Johnstone's company. After 4 years my husband and I returned once again to Scotland. I had a long series of correspondence with Jim before our trip. We had planned to use his service for several days. Plans change but Jim was right there advising and help us make decisions. We ended up using his friend out of Edinburgh but cancelled our long drive from Edinburgh to Orkney in favor of flying. Jim agreed with our decision based on our time frame. His transfer service was available to meet us when we finally flew to Inverness. Since I had the day planned, all we needed was customized transportation. We had a delightful gentleman to preform this service.

After attending whisky school, Jim was there to meet us promptly on time. We didn't quite know which route we wanted to take back to Edinburgh and let Jim take us on his scenic route. He remembered a lot of places we had visited on previous trips and our almost visit to Balmoral. As we passed the gates, we again missed (the Queen was in residence) this experience. But, he mentioned a nearby distillery (we've over the years visited about 55 of them) that we must have gone to. We hadn't. He took a quick U turn for the last stop of our Scotland visit.

Jim has a way of introducing us at distilleries so that we have wonderful wonderful things happen. This time it was a unique tasting of rare spirits.

On each trip he has insisted that we stop at many historic and unique sites along our route. He relates history in a most interesting way and as a result, we have learned to love Scotland, not just the scotch experience.

Yes, I heartily recommend Jim and his services. No, I don't have any interest in his company. I just have had great service and a tremendous respect for him.

Please read my trip reports from September to October. They can be accessed by clicking on my photo or name.

Good luck in finding the tour that meets your needs.

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

I'm with you Woody

salmon for tea...........................

Camano Island...
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Looking for a private tour guide/driver for Whsiky tour

My husband and I are planning on being in Scotland for only three days. His drink of choice is Dewars 18 yr old. I want to get him a private tour of this company so he can taste all of their scotches. How do I go about doing that before we arrive? I have gone to their web site and all you get is an advertisment of their whiskey.

Carolyn from Washington State