We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think this itineray would be good?

California
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do you think this itineray would be good?

Our plan for the end of Septmeber is to fly into Edinburgh in the evening, rent a car and drive to Stirling for the night. Explore the next day and then drive up to Invergarry and spend another night there. Next we were planning to drive up to Inverness and stay either one or two nights. Then drive back to Edinburgh and spend last couple days there. Questions - should we stay just one night in Inverness and find a place to stop on the way back to Edinburgh? Or spend an extra night in Invergarry? For some reason my husband does not want to double back when he's driving. Also is it an easy drive from Edinburgh airport to Stirling in the evening?

Thanks for all responses!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you think this itineray would be good?

It is an easy drive from the airport (west of the city) to Stirling, doable on main roads/motorways in under 1 hour.

I would NEVER recommend driving directly off a longhaul flight, especially one crossing 8 timezones.

Do you have experience of driving in the UK?

Abs :)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you think this itineray would be good?

Its not possible to comment on your itinerary without knowing what interests you. What are you hoping to see/do?

California
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you think this itineray would be good?

Yes, we have driven in Ireland. We would like to see the countryside, castles, historical places and meet and enjoy the people.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you think this itineray would be good?

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/invergarry/inverg…

You are certainly not trying to do too much which is nice to hear as some people on this forum seem to want to pack the whole of Scotland into one week!

I would say yes - have two nights in Inverness or at least in the surrounding area. You can easily drive back to Edinburgh in 3.5 hours from Inverness with a couple of comfort stops. If you are coming back down the A9 you may want to stop off half way at Blair Castle which is worth visiting

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

This map may help you decide where to go and what to do - you can see Blair Atholl just showing at the foot of the map (south)

http://www.blair-castle.co.uk/

I would also recommend Culloden Battlefield and Clava Cairns when in the Inverness area

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

The visitor centre is well laid out with stories told from both armies so its extremely interesting as is the walk on the battlefield itself.

regards

Woody x

Edited: 19 July 2012, 13:21
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you think this itineray would be good?

If you are staying near Inverness I would also recommend visiting Fort George on the east of Inverness. Visited a few times and I really like it. It is still used as a barrack for the British Army.

6. Re: Do you think this itineray would be good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands