We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

We are hoping to go snowboarding early January - we were thinking of driving up to Scotland rather than the going to the Alps to make cheaper for us.

What would be your preference for the best resort in Scotland. We are beginners-intermediate but don't want just basic short runs.

Any advice/opinions would be great.

Thanks in advance....

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

Snow is unreliable, weather may make it impossible to snowboard even if there is snow. It's not cheap if aren't able to do any snowboarding. If you want to save money then go to an Eastern European resort

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

Scottish conditions are unpredictable, When everything comes good, the skiing can be great. But trying to predict what conditions will be like in January is a mugs game.

If you can hold off and drive to Scotland at a moments notice, then it is an option. If you need to book your time off work now, then Scotland is not a wise option. If you need to be 90% sure of conditions, book the Alps.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

I'd agree, you can't even depend on the Scottish resorts having enough snow to be open.

Cheaper than the Alps, you could consider the Sierra Nevadas in Spain. Snow is reliable, think they are usually open Nov - early Dec. At the beginning of this year they were open while the Alps, and Europe, were struggling with a lack of snow! Not so cold either. You can even stay down in Granada and enjoy free tapas with a beer in the evening - and barely need to wear a coat!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

Edinburgh has the largest and best artificial Snow Ski & boarding slope in Europe at Hillend. As the snow is so unpredictable come to Edinburgh and you are guaranteed to have a good time. It is also more difficult, ever wondered why the UK ski & boarding teams why all the prizes? They train at Hillend in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

To answer the question you asked, the highest snow is usually at Aviemore; the largest ski area is Glenshee, and Glenshee is probably more set up for boarding.

Nevis range has a board park but I've never been there.

You can't rely on snow? Yup snow in Scotland is sometimes excellent, sometimes awful. Sometimes there's so much (or there's such a good base that it lasts) you can ski in June :-) Other years you're lucky to ski regularly.

The unasked question: When I was based in Edinburgh, Glenshee made loads of sense. When based south of Reading, I decided skiing in Scotland made little sense, because costs were comparable with going to France, and conditions there were so much more reliable. Usually. Would it really be significantly cheaper to head North?

The Bell brothers and many others trained at Hillend - when young. When they got good enough, they skied in the Andes on New Zealand in Summer and the Alps and America in winter - in the brief days when the British squad had money. They'd pop back to say hello to their old pals. There are a number of ski racing schools for Brit juniors; they're based in France for a reason.

Yes, as their name implies, the Sierra Nevadas get snow. Their piste map lists lots of runs but the bottom ones are often closed, so it doesn't really quite live up to the potential on the map. (Same applies to quite a few Alpine resorts as well, though)

And, ahem, though I live in Edinburgh I wouldn't spend a week skiing there :-)

This is a reasonably fair but relentlessly upbeat comparison:

http://ski.visitscotland.com/centres/

UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

Thanks everyone - Think I will try and look for a cheaper way of going in Europe.

7. Re: Advice - best ski resorts Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands