We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horseback riding

BEDFORD
Level Contributor
275 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
horseback riding

We are looking for a place to rent horses/ride (with a guide?) for a part of a day in the Glencoe, Skye, Applecross, or Torridan area. Where can we ride "the big horses?" What is pony trekking? We are one very experienced and three not so experienced riders. (Could you tell?) I'd appreciate any help with this? Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
NW USA
Level Contributor
317 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horseback riding

Well, don't know how helpful this is coming from someone who has never been to Scotland, but...in looking for the same thing I ran across this place for western riding:

www.aboutscotland.com/argyll/appaloosa.html

Check out the pictures of the leopard appaloosa! They look to offer 1, 2, and 4 hour rides, plus longer ones as well. I'll be there in a month or so and will definitly be checking them out :). Ran across a few other places in my searches as well, but no doubt you can do your own search, and I bet a local person will chime in soon! By the way, I visited Boston last fall, absolutely gorgeous folliage and loved the Museum of Fine Arts. Have fun in Scotland-I leave for Europe tomorrow, yay!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horseback riding

You can ride the Heavy Horses (Clydesdales) at Armadale in Skye. One of our regulars, Yorkie Lass lives up there and I'm sure she has posted about them so why not do a search of her posts?

Pony trecking is just hacking on horseback, usually in a group with a leader, and at a slow pace. Its a great way to see the countryside but for the experienced riders is maybe a bit tame.

Mentioned in this post
Armadale
Armadale
Isle of Skye, UK
Scotland
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: horseback riding

Hi there,

I can help a bit here. West Highland Heavy Horses are based in Ardvasar, just near Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula on Skye. www.westhighlandheavyhorses.com

They often take their horses onto the shore at Armadale and I have seen a few of the riders take the horses down to the ice cream stand in Armadale, much to the amusement of all around. It seems to be a very friendly operation.

For pony trekking near Portree, have a look at www.skyeridingcentre.co.uk

There are other places around Skye that have riding and pony trekking. Yorkielass will probably have some more information for you.

Mentioned in this post
Ardvasar
Ardvasar
Isle of Skye, UK
Armadale
Armadale
Isle of Skye, UK
scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: horseback riding

scottraveler,

I know you are not going near Balmoral, but for anyone else who is following this post and is interested, the Queen keeps Highland Ponies on the Balmoral Estate, you can go on a supervised trek up some very steep climbs on the estate and see some fantastic views. Not however when the Queen or her family is in residence. Best to check with the estate first.

Mentioned in this post
Balmoral
Balmoral
Aberdeenshire, UK
england
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: horseback riding

I noticed a message from tumblingweed who was about to go on the appaloosa's in western Scotland, please give me any information you can, a group of four of us are going next month and I really do not know what to expect, we are staying in the Kennels cottage on site and have been told that it is basic but comfortable.

Any replies on the horse riding or otherwise will be very much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: horseback riding

Just a follow up to an earlier post about pony trekking at Balmoral. I understand this is still possible, but not six days a week during the tourist season which has previously been the case. Best to check with the estate as the post said www.balmoralcastle.com

In additon you can go pony trekking at Glen Tanar which is near to Aboyne. Glen Tanar Equestrian Centre e-mail gtec@talk21.com

Mentioned in this post
Balmoral
Balmoral
Aberdeenshire, UK
Aboyne
Aboyne
Aberdeenshire, UK