We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking holidays

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
walking holidays

Hi,

me and my husband would like to visit Scottish Highlands.

The idea is to hike every day and spend nights in B&B. One day we would definitely want to hike or walk along the coastal path. Other days (perhaps 3 or 4) we would like to walk near one of the Lochs and around peaks. What we want are areas without many people, big cities. We want dramatic sceneries, unspoiled nature...

Any recommendation as to the areas?

Thanks

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
661 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking holidays

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

this is a good site to get you started -

you could also check on some companies that organize walks for you

(B&B's, luggage forwarding etc)

http://www.maketracks.net/.

is one of them

Amstelveen...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: walking holidays

I walked the last part of the west highland way, from Bridge of Orchy to Fort William. Really beautiful, unspoiled landscape and as a bonus it ends on the foot of Ben Nevis which offers a nice climb.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking holidays

If you want the ultimate in 'no people' then you can take a tent or stay in a bothy and visit Knoydart. No roads, but there are three ways in:

The small boat from Mallaig to Inverie on Loch Nevis (there's accommodation at Inverie, followed by walks eastwards or northwards

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/ladhar-bhein…

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/luinne-bhein…

There's a road to loch Arkaig with a through route to Sourlies bothy and on to Inverie, and there are mountains to the north

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/ladhar-bhein…

There's a road to Kinlochhourn, with a path wich follows the edge of the loch to Barrisdale Bay, where there's a place to stay or room to camp.

It's hard country, but it fits your description ... not for those inexperienced in the mountains though. But it's possible to go to Inverie and spend a couple of days at low level at no danger.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking holidays

Another area with spectacular mountains is Loch Torridon. There are plenty B&Bs and a few hotels. The area Between Applecross and Torridon has wold hills and possiblilities for either wild walks along the coast (withou being far froma road. IN Loch Torridon and Geln Torridon anr some really bug difficult beasts of mountains, but thereby good scenery. e.g. North Shore of Glen Torridon with a walk such as

walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Inveralligin.sh…

(which route can continue way out to the west coast to Craig, where there's a bothy.

walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Redpointcraig.s…

Or there's an inland route behind Liathach, low level and rough paths

walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/behind-liathach… starting and ending on the glen torridon road.

The area north of there - Loch Ewew, Gruinard, Loch Broom - has lots of opportunities for walking - in an area wich has some population and roads but is still fairly wild.

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking holidays

I checked those links you guys recommended and want to ask what you think about the are of Durness and North Sutherland?

Thanks

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking holidays

Durness is a really remote area, but with quite a few things going for it. SMoo caves are nearby, and there's the road to the lighthouse at Cape Wrath, and cliffs and stacs south of there (Lighthouse almost always accessible, but some of the area is owned by the MOD as a firing range, and there's some local disquiet)

There's a company, c'n'do http://www.cndoscotland.com who organise walking trips in the area. They provide baggage transport and the groups walk from place to place, usually with B&B accommodation. One of their occasional routes is 'the cape wrath trail' but I don't see it on their website right now ... you could ask.

I've never used then but I do know someone who guides walks for them.

Edited: 21 December 2012, 18:34
7. Re: walking holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 05:16