We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice places to stay while touring

england
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
nice places to stay while touring

We are going to tour western scotland in May for the 1st time and intend stopping for 2 or 3 days at a time.Can anyone tell me their favourite places to stay either inland or on the coast.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice places to stay while touring

My preference is typically always to head for the coast - but it is a personal thing. And it depends too what you want to do - walk, take in galleries, great food - that can make a big difference to choice of place. So here is a 'starter for 10', from the south, then heading northwards.

If you start in the very south west, then Portpatrick is beautiful as a base for touring in Galloway. Further up the coast, Prestwick, Troon or Largs make for great bases to cover off Ayrshire.

As a proper west coast odyssey, you could cross to Argyll via either Arran (ferry from Ardrossan then to Claonaig on the other side) or Bute (ferry from Wemyss Bay, then off Bute arriving at Colintraive). Both islands have lovely accommodation to overnight, but you'll probably pass through since you want to find a base for two or three days. So I'd probably head to Tarbert (Loch Fyne), and use it to explore any of Kintyre, Islay, Gigha, mid-Argyll and Cowal.

That covers some 40% of the west coast ...

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice places to stay while touring

Further north, which is my preferred area, you have the bustling harbour town of Oban. Take a ferry across to Mull and explore it from Iona to Calgary bay. Tobermory lovely town. Back on the mainland, head up past Oban and you have the Appin peninsula between Oban and Fort William.

Other really nice spots are Glencoe, and 'the road to the isles' with my favourite part being Arisaig. Boat from Mallaig over to Knoydart also great.

There's really so much. Some more still heading north include Plockton, Lochcarron, Applecross, Sheildaig (wester ross, torridon area) and then onto Loch Maree, Gairloch.

Others will no doubt add more.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice places to stay while touring

You don't say how long in total, nor where you're starting from. Glasgow airport?

Your tour should really include Loch Lomond, Oban, Glencoe, Skye, Torridon and perhaps right the way past Ullapool up to the North coast.

You could return via Inverness then consider where next: Maybe Speyside then Deeside and Fife and Edinburgh. Maybe southwards back towards Fort William then across to Stirling.

Trying to get an outline of your intentions - little point in us suggesting lots of far-flung places if it's a short trip.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 11:26
4. Re: nice places to stay while touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16