We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Scotland for the first time

Brighton, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days in Scotland for the first time

Hello!

My husband and me are planning a trip to Scotland in the middle of the March.

He wants to do something unusual, more likely to see the Scottish wildlife than the rural one.

What is the must as well as possible to see in 7 days?

Thank you! Lucie

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days in Scotland for the first time

So what would you like to do? How has your planning gone so far.?

Much easier for the fuorum to work from a draft than a blank canvas as there are many,many places in Scotland that would fit your bill.

Some good suggestions to get the mind working on this recent thread.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k61…

Edited: 25 February 2013, 12:25
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days in Scotland for the first time

Don't know where you are planning to stay but this local hotel(local to me!) does breaks geared to showing you where to go and what to see in the wildlife world but you need a car to get around. Its in Grantown on Spey which is a lovely small town in the valley of the River Spey (hence the name!!)Its about 14 miles north of Aviemore which is accessible by mainline train - you could also fly into Inverness or you may be driving the whole way?

http://www.grantarmshotel.com/

EmbraChap is right - a bit more info about where you may like to visit would help us give you the most relevant information

Also have a look at this website - its very helpful

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

Cheers

Woody x

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days in Scotland for the first time

I'll concentrate on the wildlife aspect of this and suggest a few widely located places, and bearing in mind March is a good time for migrating birds.

Starting near Woody, Loch Garten has had a long-established pair of breeding Ospreys. And South of there, Loch of the Lowes at Dunkeld has the same, as well as a woodland right by the hide with lots of small birds and Red Squirrels. However March is only the start of the breeding season, so maybe a bit early ...

Way down on the South-west coast, Caerlaverock reserve has miles of mudflats and is ideally placed for migrating birds as they head northwards and on their way over the seas to Iceland and Greenland. And as well placed are the Uists - miles of small lochs, beaches and grasslands.

Near Eyemouth on the South-East coast you have St Abbs head, beautiful cliffs with loads of breeding colonies of sea birds, many of which will be in place by March. And marvellous undersea life in a protected area, for divers to visit (brave and well-clad in March)

Way up in the North-West you could look for a boat trip to see Dolphins, Whales, Sea Eagles, Golden Eagles, Otters ... Elgol on Skye is the place I'd recommend for that because you also get to see the Coullins, the best mountains in the UK - but there are sea trips from many locations including Mull. Maybe a bit early in the year for whales, thinking of it ...

The Fair Isles lie between Orkney and Shetland; think Fair Isle Sweaters but also think migration routes for birds. Probably the best place for migrating and breeding seabirds in the UK, which is by the island belongs to the National Trust for Scotland and has lots of bird observatories. Boats and flights from Shetland.

You did ask for the unusual ...

Just a few locations picked randomly from memory; there are many more and I'm sure others will pile in.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 23:17
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days in Scotland for the first time

Oh, and don't forget the Otters, like I did. On the Kintyre peninsula near Lochgilphead.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days in Scotland for the first time

Mull is good for wildlife (Sea Eagles, Otters, Puffins on the Treshnish Isles [but March is too early for puffins I think?, May is good], boat trips to see Whales, Dolphins, Basking Sharks from Tobermory or Oban.

Cairngorms for red squirrels, pine martins, capercaillie, osprey, wolves and polar bears (the latter two are only in the Highlands Wildlife Park though!). :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days in Scotland for the first time

The problem is the Cairngorms is a vast region and all the above animals and birds are very small. Either you find likely places and stay stationary for a long time, waiting for animals to turn up, or you go to somewhere they are known to be, and they are therefore not 100% wild.

7. Re: 7 Days in Scotland for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 06:17