We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh and Highlands

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh and Highlands

Would appreciate guidance on a roundtrip loop drive from Edinburgh to Invverness and back (prefer not to repeat the same drive on the return) with one overnight stay. Would like to take about 6 to 8 leisurely hours to get to Inverness and enjoy sights and meals along the way. Also open to staying in another location along the way. Much thanks.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh and Highlands

There are a number of ways of getting to inverness which could be used to get there and back; it's difficult to advise on the best without knowledge of your interests. WHich is the most important? Scenery castles people food history ... ?

Edinburgh - Stirling - Glencoe - Fort William - Inverness

Edinburgh - Perth - Aviemore - Inverness

Edinburgh - Perth - Glenshee - Braemar - Tomintoul - Inverness

Edinburgh - Fife - Stonehaven - Banchory - Tomintoul - Inverness

Edinburgh - Fife - Stonehaven - Aberdeen - Elgin - Inverness

each has good and bad points.

Please look at http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ as a way of identifying places of interest near each route; it's divided into areas.

Consider not going quite as far as Inverness. There are plenty nice places to stay in the Aviemore/Grantown/Carrbridge area. In the interests of more sights and less driving.

And please use http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp to work out your driving routes and times.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh and Highlands

And I should have mentioned: which time of year? That makes a LOT of difference: right now i's dark at 6 pm, and in late June it'll be dark nearer 11 pm.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh and Highlands

Basically I would suggest going UP the A9 stopping off at the likes of Dunkeld, Pitlochry, Blair Atholl, Aviemore(for Cairngorm Mountain) and then stopping short of Inverness to stay in the likes of Grantown on Spey or surrounds before returning via A939 Grantown to Tomintoul, then A93 to Braemar then on to Blair gowrie, Perth and back to Edinburgh.Check out the Undiscovered Scotland website for the names of those towns and see what you can visit in them which may be of interest to you. The second half of your journey will take you over the high route in the hills and mountains and is very scenic. The A9 is just a means of getting from A to B but with lots of interesting stopping off points on the way

Woody x

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh and Highlands

Thanks so much for the help. We will be there the first week of this June and are interested in experiencing the countryside - great small towns (a little shopping to support independent businesses would be fun as well), beautiful scenery, great meals.

Very open to any 2 day route that would get us to the best of the Highlands in that time; we are staying in Edinburgh for 6 nights and will include this overnight drive during that time.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh and Highlands

Then the route I have already recommended is the one I would use.... and I must say I use both routes on a fairly regular basis so I am qualified to comment on their suitability!

W x

Edited: 09 March 2013, 22:58
6. Re: Edinburgh and Highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 05:17