We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day roadtrip

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
5 day roadtrip

Hi guys,

Im planning a trip to the UK in the last fortnight of July this year (13th - 31st July). The plan is to spend time in London & Manchester with family for a week and do a 5 day roadtrip (4 adults) up to the Scottish Highlands post that - Start with Glasgow/Edinburgh (depending on what you recommend and drive upto the Highlands through Glencoe and Fort William to the Isle of Skye and back to Loch Ness & Iverness- Maybe spending a day or two each in Glasgow/Edinburgh, Portee and Iverness before we come back to London.

I am looking forward to your recommendations on the following:

1. Is 5 days comfortable for the proposed trip or am i cutting it too tight.

1. The best means of travel (Id love to hire a car, unless u strongly recommend a coach tour)

2. Your suggestions on changing the route or adding/ removing certain destinations from the route above

3. Stops on the roadtrip. Based on my initial research iv shortlisted Glasgow/ Edinburgh followed by Portree and Iverness for a day stop. Lemme know if they are the best places to spend a day each and your recommendations on hotels would be helpful.

4. Indicative budget for the roadtrip.

5. Would an Indian driving license work for driving in Scotland?

Looking forward to your guidance.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day roadtrip

Hire a car for most flexibility.

See this official government site for information about the legalities if driving on a foreign-issues licence: https://www.gov.uk/non-gb-driving-licence

Anything particular you want to see in Inverness? There may be better suggestions for your second stop, depending on your interests.

Abs :)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day roadtrip

Thanks Abs. The website you mentioned suggests an India license should work for my visit.

Nothing in particular in Inverness. It came up as the closest stopover to the Loch Ness area during my initial research. Am flexible with respect to my itinerary. Am keen on the Stirling, Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Isle of Skye stretch. Let me know if there is a better itinerary on the way back. Am keen on visiting castles, beautiful gardens, mountain ranges, maybe a distillery, wildlife and explore scottish food.

Would it be a good idea to spend 1 day at each of these towns and explore the surroundings or keep a single base and drive out daily? Which one of the two is logistically convenient?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day roadtrip

5 days *including* Edinburgh/Glasgow and all the places you're suggesting? You *are* pushing it, I think, and you will spend a lot of time on the road rather than getting out to visit places and meet people, and that would be a pity.

And if your road trip includes the English legs as well, that's way too much driving ...

My first suggestion would be train North From Manchester, and train again Edinburgh to London.

You need a couple of city days, and my suggestion would be Edinburgh.

That leaves three days, maybe less if you're taking 5 days ending in London.

Could you break down your plan into more detail and we can then better suggest how to get the best from your highland days.

England
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day roadtrip

HI,You are really going to have hectic time trying to do all the places you have suggested,maybe fly from London to Glasgow and put together an itinerary of the places you would most like to see. Scotland is a large area,maybe you could get a tourist information place to put together a reasonable itinerary for you

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day roadtrip

You could fly from London to Inverness - hire a car at the airport and work your way back. Easyjet and Flybe both fly from London Gatwick to Inverness so it would cut out a lot of tedious driving (and save time?)

Woody x

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day roadtrip

I feel the general consensus is that i should use a flight/train for the England portion of the travel upto and back from Glasgow and hire a self drive car from there onwards.

In that case, the itinerary would look as follows:

Day 1: Fly into Glasgow (Easyjet looks convenient) - Explore the city. Stay overnight.

Day 2: Take the self drive to Portree via stops at Loch Lomond, Glencoe and Fort WIlliam. Overnight at Portree

Day 3: Explore the Isle of Skye. Overnight at Portree

Day 4: Drive via Loch Ness back to Stirling. Overnight at Stirling

Day 5: Explore Stirling. Leave for Edinburgh. Overnight at Edinburgh.

Day 6: Explore Edinburgh. Fly out to London late evening.

Thoughts/ comments appreciated.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day roadtrip

That looks so much better.

I'd also suggest returning your rental car on Day 5 - you're unlikely to want to use it when exploring Edinburgh - driving and parking can be difficult anyway. And you'll save a day's cost.

On your way from Stirling to Edinburgh you drive past Edinburgh Airport anyway, so dropping off the car there and taking the Airport Express bus into the city centre/ your accommodation might work out well for you.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 day roadtrip

Thanks mary_g.

9. Re: 5 day roadtrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 07:17