We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

Hello, I am planning a trip to the highlands for a week this summer and have been looking at accomodation just outside Fort William, I was wondering if someone could please advise if this would be a good base for day trips exploring the highlands. Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

I agree about its location. Just not sure I would want to spend a whole week there.

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

Many thanks for all the replies.

Holly

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,454 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

Also if you are based in or around Fort William by driving South, Oban is well within reach and if driving North then so is Inverness. If someone asks me where is a good base to explore the Highlands in general then the Fort William area would be my first suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

There are two bases I'd consider for accessing mountains, and they'd be Fort WIlliam, despite its concrete monstrosities, and Aviemore. While there are reasons to visit Inverness, it wouldn't be my first choice if interested in mountains.

However the original post was 'explore the highlands' - so does than mean mostly mountain scenery, or does it mean little towns, castles, history or what?

And in reply to that I'd still say Fort WIlliam or Aviemore, if you're determined on one centre rather than moving about. And there are places outwith Fort William where you can spend evenings if you want.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

I see these negative comments on here all the time about Ft William and hey, I spent all of 10 minutes within city boundries. How long does it take to drive thru?

I see similar comments re:Aberdeen on the other side. Sure I think Aberdeeen is much bigger and again we didn't visit for long but seemed like a decent little city.

But the point I'm trying to make is that you would be foolish and misguided if you confuse Ft. William with the territory around Ft William, just as you would be confusing Aberdeen with Aberdeenshire.

My concern is that people read the negative comments and "throw the whole baby out with the bath water" as it were.

Ft William, though we didn't stay there, seems like a great base. Glenfinnan, the Great Glen, the mountains, GlenCoe, Oban and even Skye are within fairly easy reach. There are many B&B's, side by side, on the road leading in along Loch Linnhe. Seems like a lovely spot, even if within a couple miles of downtown Ft William.

Anyway, been meaning to make this comment for a while.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Aberdeenshire
Aberdeenshire
Scotland, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,454 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

Whilst I like the Aviemore area Fort William would edge it for me as a base for a first trip as it brings area's such as Glencoe, Oban, Glenfinnan, Arisaig, Morar, Skye, Eilean Donan Castle, Glenshiel, Inverness, Loch Ness, Culloden, Clava Cairns and much more all within easy reach reach on a day trip. So mountains, beaches, history, wildlife, lochs, glens, castles, villages, towns and a city (although to me Inverness will always be a town :-) ) are all covered :-)

editing now.....;-0 and looks like me and kevin were posting at the same time....... well said Kevin ;-) (and I have to say that concrete monstrocities is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least :-?)

Edited: 15 May 2013, 15:37
Mentioned in this post
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Arisaig
Arisaig
Scottish Highlands, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Clava Cairns
Clava Cairns
408 Reviews
Scottish Highlands, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

Drive a short way south from Fort William and stay somewhere like Ballachulish or Onich. All the advantages of the area but much prettier

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,834 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

Kevin makes very good points. You don't go to Fort William to admire the architecture, you go to eat, drink, shop and sleep between trips into the magnificent mountains and sea shores which surround it. And it is very good at fulfilling those functions. What do you need most after slogging up and down Ben Nevis? A few pints and a curry, of course, and you'll have no problem doing that in Fort Bill!

Surrey
Level Contributor
9 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

Oban is great if you are interested in seeing some of the islands, day trips are possible to Mull, Coll or Tiree and a number of other islands. Its also a really nice Harbour town to stay in, nice views and sunsets, plenty of bars and restaurants

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Looking for a good base for a Highlands trip

This is really not a reply to the post, but an additional question.....what would you all recommend if the traveler did NOT have a car? We will be in Glasgow for 3 days and have 4 more to spend exploring at the end of June and would love some suggestions.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK