We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in Scotland then back to London

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days in Scotland then back to London

I am traveling solo to London (from Colorado, USA) in September (2013) for a seminar. I have dreamed of visiting Scotland and I will have a few days free before I fly back to the US. I think I would enjoy taking a train from London to Scotland. I can go anywhere I want, but I'll have only 4 days before I will have to take the train back to Heathrow Airport (I do not plan to rent a car). I would LOVE to see the Highlands. I don't need to see Lochness or any tourist traps. I just want to drink beer in a quaint pub and feel what it feels like to be in the Highlands. Where should I go? Inverness? Or the coast? I would prefer to stay in a room above a pub or at a small B&B (no fancy hotel). Any recommendations? Which website is best to purchase my train ticket? Thank you for any starting point here.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 02:03
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Scotland then back to London

By and large, it should n't make a lot of difference which website you buy your ticket, as long it is one of the train operating companies (TOC). But sometimes you get a discount if you buy from the company that actually operates the train you will be using.

2 main routes from London - the East Coast or the West Coast. (Although not much sign of the casts for the majority of the trips). East coast is scenic after Newcastle; West Coast improves after Lancaster, in my opinion.

An option would be an overnight sleeper train with First Scotrail, which "saves" you a bed-night. So, for example, sleeper to Fort William. (Stay at Bridge of Orchy near Rannoch Moor, or go on to Glencoe by bus and stay in the Clachaig Inn. Return to Glasgow/Edinburgh for onward train (or, probably better, plane) to London. ) That should maximise your time in the Highlands...

More background information at this great site - www.seat61.com

Tickets - www.eastcoast.co.uk

or try Virgin Trains on the West coast route.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Scotland then back to London

Hi.

How about maximising your time by flying fr London to Inverness, then taking the train to Kyle of Lochalsh and staying somewhere there for 3 nights. You could take a bus across to Skye or retrace the train route to spend a day hiking near loch carron or somewhere similar.

You could even consider taking the Caledonian sleeper train back from Inverness to London, to expedite your journey south and save on a nights accommodation.

Train tickets are cheapest through the train operator. Avoid booking agents like The Trainline, which levy a booking fee.

Abs :)

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Scotland then back to London

Thank you!

4. Re: 4 Days in Scotland then back to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands