We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorhome 7 nights in the Highlands

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Motorhome 7 nights in the Highlands

Hi everyone

I'm hoping for a bit of advice please?

Me and my partner are travelling in a motorhome up to Scotland from Liverpool. I plan to take him through Glen Coe, up to Isle of Skye and I also fancy Isle of Iona.

I'm just wondering if any of you know if these places are accessible by motorhome? We have bikes as I believe Iona won't allow vehicles so we can get around on 2 wheels there but I just need good ideas of places to visit. We love eating out, outdoors stuff etc but just wanted some variation on biking and walking.

We have our first night in Glen Coe booked already so we can go anywhere from there really for the remaining 6 nights.

Any kind of suggestion would help so much.

Thankyou

Helen xxx

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorhome 7 nights in the Highlands

Your own itinerary is fine and gives you time to explore Skye and Mull - you will need 6 nights anyway so I wouldn't change your plans. You are correct - you cannot take your motorhome to Iona but yes - you can hire bikes I'm sure. There is a campsite near Fionnphort (Mull) which is where the ferry crosses to Iona which would suit you

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp…

We stayed in the village a couple of years ago and had a look at the site which has a new toilet block and is right beside the sea - very natural and underdeveloped. The driving on Mull is slow as its single track road with passing places so although the miles don't seem long it takes a while to go from A to B and you will always want to stop for photos!

If its still open the Keel Row pub in Fionnphort is excellent as is the Ninth Wave seafood restaurant nearby. Food to die for!

This B & B in Fionnphort has a great website for things to do in the area - have a look at the left hand side of the home page.

http://www.seaview-mull.co.uk/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g551865-…

You can drive over the bridge to Skye so its easily accessible for you with your motorhome. You don't say which month you are travelling but I am assuming its this summer so daylight will not be a problem. I haven't been to Skye but am visiting there this July as I was so ashamed I hadn't yet done so!

Just check you road map and work out a route which should be fairly circular and saves going over the same way twice although I'm not sure you can take a motorhome on the small ferry that runs from Mallaig to Armadale (Skye ) it would be an alternative to using the bridge twice!

Yes you can - just checked and the below is the link

calmac.co.uk/timetables/…

regards

Woody x

PS You will probably have to come back - 6 nights isn't really long enough - I am also assuming that doesn't include travelling time to and from Liverpool

2. Re: Motorhome 7 nights in the Highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 June 2013, 21:35
3. Re: Motorhome 7 nights in the Highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 07:17