We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Topic
Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

My husband and I are making our first trip to Scotland this September, as well as our first big trip away from our toddler. Currently, we plan to fly in to Edinburgh and out of Glasgow. My husband is a big history buff and will enjoy visiting castles, battlefields, war museums, etc. He is really focused on seeing the Highlands. I am interested in beautiful scenery, quaint villages, good food and 3-4 hour hikes. Basically, we want a little bit of everything!

Based on some initial research, we were thinking of spending 1 or 2 nights in Edinburgh, then perhaps 1 night at a B&B in Pitlochry or Dunkeld, 3 or 4 nights in a vacation rental that is relaxed and secluded but with access to sights (perhaps the Isle of Mull?), and the last night in or near Glasgow with easy access to the airport. We would love some specific advice on where to stay and what to do to feel like we have experienced the Highlands but come away feeling relaxed instead of rushed. Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

Hi, and welcome,

It sounds a good plan. I was just wondering how you planned to get about? It's perfectly possible to use trains and buses, for the places you mention, but many people rely on the flexibility of having a car.

I ask, because it will affect where I suggest you try and see. Some places would be impractical without a car.

I don't know Mull that well, but it may well be great for you. However, I would suggest an island I know better - Arran, in the Firth of Clyde. You can easily reach it by train from Glasgow to Ardrossan Harbour, and then about 55 minutes on the ferry.

It's nickname is "Scotland in Miniature", so it will have something for all - walks, history, kids facilities, good food, scenery, wildlife (otters, deer, eagles,) etc. There is a resort / hotel place called the Auchrannie, where you can rent lodges.

Returning to Glasgow, you go through Paisley, which is only 2 miles from Glasgow airport and its hotels, or you can carry on another 5 miles or so to central Glasgow. It's only 20-30 minutes from there out to the airport by fast motorway.

Hope this helps

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
969 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

Your plan sounds good. Edinburgh is a fascinating city with lots of historic places to visit.

I agree with reply number 1 that the Isle of Arran is well worth a visit. It is loved by many people in Scotland but probably less well known internationally.

Information about train travel in Scotland can be found at www.scotrail.co.uk and ferry travel to Scottish islands (including Arran) at www.calmac.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

You might want to consider a trip north of Pitlochry on the following day , before heading to the west, and probably staying overnight, to Inverness because for your husband's military interest there is Culloden Battlefield with an excellent visitor centre with a bloodthirsty film reconstructing the battle and just a few miles away is Fort George, an active fort but also with a military museum . Gets good reviews on here from military enthusiasts

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186535-…

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

Thanks everyone for your input! After some negotiations with my husband, our trip has been pushed back to Oct 5-13. We will indeed have a car when we leave Edinburgh. Given that we are now going a little later, not sure if changes should be made to accommodate increasingly cold and windy weather? Or perhaps we can find a place with a beautiful view and a wood fireplace.

Arran sounds wonderful, my only concern is it in the "highlands"? That's specifically what my husband would like to experience. The days in Edinburgh are really for me.

Culloden Battlefield seems like it's right up our alley. Any other suggestions along those lines would be greatly aopreciated!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

After visiting Culloden Battlefield, consider driving west towards Gairloch, which will meet your requirements of "beautiful scenery, quaint villages, good food and 3-4 hour hikes" - in the Highlands. Here's a guide to walks in the area: walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/gairloch.shtml

General information: visitscotland.com/en-au/…gairloch-p236191

http://www.visitwester-ross.com/gairloch.asp

Edited: 15 August 2013, 04:30
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

Or consider Oban: visitscotland.com/info/…oban-p235801

It has a War & Peace Museum (WWII) that may interest your husband: tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g186501…

Walks in the area: www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/oban.shtml

It's close to Mull as well. :)

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

I would agree with Suzy that Gairloch might fit your bill - beautiful scenery and quaint villages. I think you should plan and book your stops ahead of getting there to save wasting time looking for somewhere when you arrive and given that your dates fall into some of the Scottish school holidays, places may get booked up.

Try and visit Clava Cairns when at Culloden - its very close by..

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/clavaca…

Woody x

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

Technically speaking the Highlands boundary fault runs smack through the centre of Arran, and its mountains in the North of the island have all the character of other mountain areas. Glens, Mountains, woodlands in the South, even a distillery. Stone circles.

Google for images of glen Sannox to get the idea.

9. Re: Scotland Itinerary Sept 21-28

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:16